DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two years (!) ago I upgraded from the small single piston caliper brakes to the two piston design. That very night I noticed that whenever I went over a small bump, my left front suspension area makes a clanking sound. The clanking sound only happens when the car runs over small bumps like reflectors or large cracks in the pavement. The noise does not happen when I go over speedbumps and whatnot.

I have never been able to find the cause of the problem. Since installing the brakes I have also installed new shocks/springs, new pads/shims/ stainless brake lines/ and rotors. Nothing appears to be hitting (i.e. the dustshield) but I am not 100% certain on that.

Anyone have any ideas? I think that this has to be the most perplexing problem I have ever encountered with my car. I can live with it, but who wants a clank over every small bump?

Thanks,
Chris
:confused:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
shot in the dark but does it happen when you go backwards quickley? if it does it might just be the pad shifting that will do it but i dont know about bumps. just a thought to consider.:confused:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the car does not make the noise when I go in reverse and it does not coincide with pressing the brake pedal. It seems that these cars like to make rear brake noises when reversing, but this noise is much more high pitched than the brake noise. Thanks for the idea.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts