DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm in the process of taking out the engine out of my 2G AWD (the head is off and all the other accesories) is it possible to take out the block without removing the tranny?. Any help would be great.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
yeah i believe it is. never done it though. A friend of mine said that he just unbolted the tranny from the engine. i think like 5-10 bolts maybe. correct me if im wrong though

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
on a 2g yes you can do this, the motor mounts are on the tranny, on a 1g it's comin out with the engine anyway cuz that's basically what holds it in...(minus the 1/2 shafts but there's not much to removing them from teh tranny anyway)

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
On a 1g once you unbolt it it's like 10min extra for it to come out anyway....i would take it out but that's just me. plus i dont' have an extra jack to hold it up either :) on a 2g u can just unbolt it and it will support itself

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I don't have to I don't want the extra work of removing the tranny , I'm doing all of the work by myself..if I can remove just the block it will be a lot easier..

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
I think you'll find you're better off just dropping the tranny down and pulling the engine out.....it'll save you a LOT of work when tryin to put the engine back in...TRUST ME

·
Registered
100 Posts
so what you guys are saying is that i could use a jack to support the tranny and unbolt it from the block and then just take it out on a 1g? also, how much does it cost for an engine hoist? i thought i saw one at pep boys for 150. anyone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts