DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would I get a list of all bolts/fasteners on a production vehicle including their specs (not just length, thread, width, but tolerances and failure rating). Would it be scattered throughout the service manuals? If anyone knows where I could find this for any car let me know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for trying. What I was thinking was assembling a comprehensive list of specs (thread length, dia, length, head size, tolerances, etc) of all the bolts on particular cars so that when I go in to do my exhaust manifold I can replace them with brand new bolts without paying dealer markup. I'm going to buy the service manual soon and it should have it in there.

I was just thinking if someone can bulk order all the bolts for cheap they can sell them in kits for less than dealer costs. Just a thought I had while noticing all the stripped screws and bolts on my car (even the splash guard retaining clips are stripped).

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,496 Posts
I have never seen anything like that. It seems hard enough for the dealer to find the misc stuff you can't find elsewhere. If you do find it, let me know asap

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
talontsiawd said:
I have never seen anything like that. It seems hard enough for the dealer to find the misc stuff you can't find elsewhere. If you do find it, let me know asap
Now unless I'm wrong a bolt is a bolt is an oem bolt when it matches the oems:

composition
tolerance
dia
thread size
length
thread length
bolt pattern
strength

It's a monumentally daunting task but I know for sure most people in here and probably most people in the 5.0 and 90's mustang boards would hop on this in a second. If you can find a bolt supplier who has quality bolts (expansion and contraction with heat can't vary from oem etc.) then by selling all the misc bolts including retaining clips (short of head bolts, wheel studs, etc) everyone would buy it if it was cheaper then the dealer. So it's just a matter of getting a list and assembling an inventory cost then determining overhead (shipping/website/payment fees) and figuring out at what cost you make a profit... Civic people would also kill for it I'm sure.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,496 Posts
Yeah, well, as long as its the same in quality, its the same thing. Which is why i try to skip the dealer.

If you want to make some money, i'd just buy a set of oem bolts, washers, studs, etc, for a certain part of the car. Say an exhaust manifold. Then go find a supplier and start with one kit. Type up torque settings, bag them up, ship them out. If it works, go to throttle body or intake manifold (not so popular on a dsm). I know for me personally, if i could buy a kit for an exhaust manifold with all new bolts or studs (depending on the car), and gasket, anything else, i'd do it every time i would pull a manifold. Snapping studs is the worst thing ever, i'd have no problem replacing them with a kit. Start there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It just drives me nuts putting a stripped bolt back in because I don't have a replacement then having to try to get it off again... I'll let everyone know if I'm going to do it.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
empty01 said:
It just drives me nuts putting a stripped bolt back in because I don't have a replacement then having to try to get it off again... I'll let everyone know if I'm going to do it.
Let met get this, you're too cheap to pay dealer price on OEM exhaust mani studs? Even though they're not bad even at retail, and there are DSM freindly dealers that will give you 30% off list?

God forbid you price a set of the SS fastners from FFwdconnection.com. Never mind the fact that the OEM's suck dick and break all the time, and one set of SS fasteners is still cheaper than all the money wasted on trying to extract just 1 broken OEM stud. This is not a place to cheap out on parts on your dsm.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ippkiss said:
Let met get this, you're too cheap to pay dealer price on OEM exhaust mani studs? Even though they're not bad even at retail, and there are DSM freindly dealers that will give you 30% off list?

God forbid you price a set of the SS fastners from FFwdconnection.com. Never mind the fact that the OEM's suck dick and break all the time, and one set of SS fasteners is still cheaper than all the money wasted on trying to extract just 1 broken OEM stud. This is not a place to cheap out on parts on your dsm.
I don't think you paid close enough attention. So try reading again and being a little less hostile.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
empty01 said:
I don't think you paid close enough attention. So try reading again and being a little less hostile.
I'm hostile towards all the cheap bastards out there that that are too cheap to do the things that need to be done right, right. This is why it's imposible to find a DSM that isn't driven into the ground, and ruined with a 1000 half assed fixes.

You're worrying about trying to get a cheaper price on stock fasteners, when the stock are not even up to spec. I drilled not 1 but 2 broken studs out of my 95. You can bet your ass when you've got a broken stud it hurts spool. when you've got 2, it's even worse.

listen to me young grasshoppa, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO CHEAP OUT WHEN WORKING ON THINE DSM!

Besides, dealer markup is about 35%-40%. When you can get stuff at 30% off, they're not making much markup at all. San Rafel Mitsubishi is your freind.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,496 Posts
ippkiss said:
You're worrying about trying to get a cheaper price on stock fasteners, when the stock are not even up to spec. I drilled not 1 but 2 broken studs out of my 95. You can bet your ass when you've got a broken stud it hurts spool. when you've got 2, it's even worse.
I think the point was to beable to buy a full kit, with everything you need for certain projects without having to source things indvidually. Not cheaping out on something. I think it would be great to be able to order a kit for misc projects. I'd probably pay the same or more if i knew everything was going to be there, far less work. Plus i often find that dealers have trouble getting weird fasteners and things of that nature. Sometimes it's taken me 2-3 weeks. I don't own a dsm anymore, but i still think its a great idea, especially when some of these cars have gone past the 15 year mark.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
talontsiawd said:
I think the point was to beable to buy a full kit, with everything you need for certain projects without having to source things indvidually. Not cheaping out on something. I think it would be great to be able to order a kit for misc projects. I'd probably pay the same or more if i knew everything was going to be there, far less work. Plus i often find that dealers have trouble getting weird fasteners and things of that nature. Sometimes it's taken me 2-3 weeks. I don't own a dsm anymore, but i still think its a great idea, especially when some of these cars have gone past the 15 year mark.

Exactly, the only thing that makes me hesitant to do anything like that (aside from the massive amounts of work) is tolerances and heat expansion, if the tolerances aren't as good as OEM or it's a critical bolt in an area prone to temperature change and doesn't have the same characteristics as the stock bolt it could create a problem...

·
Registered
260 Posts
i went to Pepboys and bought an assortment of metric bolts in a plastic carrying case for 20$, just a thought...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TurboTsi1992 said:
i went to Pepboys and bought an assortment of metric bolts in a plastic carrying case for 20$, just a thought...

Thanks for the idea, getting the bolts isn't a hard thing to do it's getting the specifications you need on the bolts so you can be precise that's hard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know how tight to torgue the exhoust manifold nuts on 1g talon? i put in the 2g ported manifold, but i ca't find anything in my repair manual or anywhere else for that matter on how tight to torgue em. actually i'd like to also know how tight to torque the o2 housing to turbo bolts to.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Seriously?

By "seriously" I mean ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

Does this even look remotely like the place to ask that? For that matter in a thread almost a year old? Did someone drop you on your fucking head? Been breathing a little to much of those exhaust fumes there tommy?

I know your from Canada and all but......anyways.

Do some searching, post in the right fucking forum and stop reviving dead threads, especially ones that were fucking pointless to start with.

Josh

·
Registered
757 Posts
You must apply at least 130lbs of torque to those nuts. The entire assembly is pretty heavy so it needs to hold on tight captain.
Jolly good.

In other news, I myself would very much like to know the bolts and their thread patterns and such. I know 8,10 and 12mm bolts are very common but I'm not sure of the pitch, I know some its 1.5 whilst others is 1.25
Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
My how things can be funny looking back in hind site.

I picked up a 1300$ whore dsm. Every fucking bolt, nut, wire or part on this car has been hacked in some way. Were talking I got it needing a new head gasket, turbo, everything had been sealed with silicone, half the harness is gone and I think the trans might be about to explode.

Even so, the fuckers before me took the time to put 100$ worth of ss studs in the head for the exhaust manifold. :D

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
Since my head likes to leak oil in a "constant" fashion.
I have never had a problem with exhaust studs.
The ones I'm using have been in and out oh, I'd say 15 times.
And they look brand new.

I'd like to have a stainless set tho.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts