DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded to a 1991 Eclipse GSX from a same-year GS, and naturally I've been doing a lot of studying up on turbo theory and upgrades. A great deal of emphasis is placed on the fidelity of pressure and temperature of the air in the turbo system. What I don't understand is, why don't people get some sort of gauge that can monitor the temperature (not just the boost) of the air running through the system? Is the air just going by too fast to get an accurate measurement? The reason I bring this up is that it seems like a lot of people are upgrading intercoolers and pipes, etc (and spending a lot of money in the process), without really having a quantitative sense of how much of an improvement it's making on their cars. Just a thought. Anyone care to enlighten me?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't know about others, but i buaght a digital temp probe from Kmart for 10 bucks that i modified and stuffed in my ic pipe right before the intake manifold and right after the mas. under full boost in third ive gone way over the guages limit of 153 degrees. That charge air gets hot with the stock ic.

·
Registered
232 Posts
westach makes a "charge air" temp gauge 2 1/4 inches i think.. or whatever 52mm equals. it goes from 100F to 300F. it is $52.00 with a $39.40 sensor

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
WOW, makes a guy contemplate that liquid/air intercooler, doesn't it?! I'm hoping winter comes early now...

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
729 Posts
only problem with liquid/air intercoolers is that they only work well until the liquid gets warm. they are more good on the strip where you can change the water and add ice than driving around town.

·
Registered
232 Posts
it might be noted that the european focus R is a 2.0 (i think) turbo engine 220hp and uses a liquid/air intercooler.. it is fine for the street *however* something like road racing will eventually heat the water until it is uneffective.. solution, larger radiator for that water to cool itself, but that is kinda being redundant anda waste of weight

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
gsxalex, how did you install that temp probe in your car?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i bought an in-car temp gauge in the automotive section at Kmart. Normally the gauge reads inside temp and outside temp with a 6-8 ft long wire with a temp probe.
First i opened the unit and took the inside temp probe and put extension wire on it so that i had two "outside" probes. Then i took of the plastic covering on the outside temp probe so it would be more sensitive to instantanious changes. I stuffed one of the propes into my ic pipe (stock) after the BOV to measure charge air temp, and the other right after the MAS to measure intake temp.
I also but an orange light in the unit to replace the stock blue backlight and i hooked it up to the dimmer switch along with my boost gauge so it turns on when the lights are on(and even dims too).

My only complaint is that the gauge reads in 4-5 sec cycles. In other words it might read 80 degrees and then you floor it and get full boost and then shift and after that time you just start to get the full boost temp.

Not bad for $10, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts