DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to the old owner before I bought the car and I believe he was using penzoil. I don't think he knew if it was dino or syn. I Think he just took it to the shop to have the oil changed.

My father has from mobile 1 syn, he wants to sell to me so I was wonder if that is ok to use? I also heard there is a super mobile one syn. Would this be a better bet to use?

Also what oil is better for the turbos?? Thanks for any info.

I tried searching but this whol oil thing seems like one big debate. Thanks agian.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w-30 and a Napa Gold filter should suit you fine.

My GS-T has less miles than that, and I'm in synthetic territory. I change my oil dutifully every 2500-3000 miles depending on my leadfoot condition and the RPM range that oil batch has seen.

I don't trust any place to change my oil after some idiot used air tools on the oil pan nut on a former vehicle. :)

I think the debate has been around choosing combinations to keep the idle oil pressure up, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I've mentioned this a few times recently. I recently started using the new Mobil 1 synthetic oil (SuperSyn) 10w30 (as opposed to the old Mobil 1 synthetic oil (Tri-synthetic or whatever).

I use it and a PureOne oil filter and my lifter tick has disappeared.

·
Registered
556 Posts
truwarrior22 said:
I talked to the old owner before I bought the car and I believe he was using penzoil. I don't think he knew if it was dino or syn. I Think he just took it to the shop to have the oil changed.

My father has from mobile 1 syn, he wants to sell to me so I was wonder if that is ok to use? I also heard there is a super mobile one syn. Would this be a better bet to use?

Also what oil is better for the turbos?? Thanks for any info.

I tried searching but this whol oil thing seems like one big debate. Thanks agian.
Im sure it was just regular dino oil if he was having a shop do it and he "didnt know." oh well as long as he changed it regularly...

The Mobil 1 SuperSyn is better than the regular Pennzoil Dino oil. If you can get a good deal on it then it will work fine. 10W30 should be a good enough weight for the majority of the year in Illinois. (I know it gets damn cold there!) However if you have a couple months in the summer where it gets pretty hot then you might use a 10W40 for better high temp protection. Just use a synthetic and change it every 3000 and youll be fine. (oil filter every time too.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used mobil supersyc and have gone through 3 oil changes. I think it is better than the old oil because I don't get lifter ticking anymore after a hard run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts