DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure that I am going to get 2 MTX Thunder 8000s and make my own box for them. I looked around the MTX site and it said each sub should have about 3 cubic feet in a ported enclosure so I doubled that and used the formulas on the MTX site to try to get dimensions for the box. After doing all the stupid math, I got a box that would be 21.8" high, 13.5" wide, and 35" deep. this is the first time i've even thought about making my own enclosure so i have no idea if these figures are right. this would be made using 3/4" medium density fiberboard and i am not sure about the port tubes, but was thinking that two 4" ports should be about right? Has anyone built a box for two 12" subs similar to the Thunder 8000, or even better, has anyone built a box for 2 Thunder 8000 12"s. Any dimensions that you guys know would be appreciated because i am interested in building my own box and doing as much of the install myself as i can but this is the first time that i've tried any of this. any help is great thanks everyone

·
Registered
747 Posts
That box (excluding the partition's airspace), is 5.96 cf; however, It will not fit in your car without losing the rear seat. The maximum useable dimensions for a box in a 2g is 16" high x 23" deep x 34" wide. If you remove the plastic, you can get a little more, but you don't need to.
You can do 15" h x 21" d x 33" w, and that equals 6.01 cf. That should give plenty of room to include a partition.
MDF is a fabulous choice for a building material.
The speakers will have a recommended port tube diameter, and length. Don't port the rear of the box, because you will get cancellation if the magnet of the woofer can "see" the port. A properly tuned ported box will sound great. The frequency that the port emits will exit at one ocatave higher than the woofer is playing.
Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
try using a sealed box instead, most subs only need about 1 square foot apiece for a sealed box, some even less (look on the pacage the subs came in or look on the net if you dont have it anymore). also if you make a box make sure you have 2 separate chambers for the speakers or it will sound crappy (think of a box with a piece in the middle kind of making it 2 boxes in one, if you want a better example look inside a professionally made box)
also, just so you know, sealed boxes do affect the sound a little bit, you will get tighter punchier bass with a sealed box than with a ported box and when you really crank up the system with sealed boxes the bass wont distort as much as with a ported box so sealed is definitely the way to go. and if you decide not to build a box here is a good site to buy a box for a decent price they are a good site i've bought some things there without any problems CMT Trading
good luck and happy pounding :rockon: :rice:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Maybe when you get a little older, and gain some experience; you will know what you're talking about!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright thanks so far but im still confused about ported/sealed boxes. if im looking for loud and deep bass, which should i go with? ported or sealed? also if anyone can tell me what they think of what i've picked out so far...

JBL 1200.1
JBL 180.2
(2) MTX Audio Thunder 8000 12"s
Infinity Kappa 3/4"
Clarion 725 headunit

so far the best price ive been able to find for all of this has been around $1300 give or take if anyone can help me find low prices for this id appreciate it...mainly on the two amps i cant find a real low price on those anywhere. the lowest i've seen the 1200.1 for is $370. thanks again to everyone

·
Registered
9 Posts
A sealed enclosure will give you the best all around sound. Unless you are going for all out SPL, sealed would be the way to go. Also, do you plan on having ANY usable space when you are done? When I built a box for my '96 AWD, I got about 3 1/2 cu ft. Basically I made 2 boxes and put it together so I could maximize the space between the plastic in the back. It was really loud with *1* 12 Fosgate and a 2x100 Sedona amp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts