DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car has been just losing power at times all of a sudden but just temporarily, and i dont knwo what the F to do. my oil filter has been unscrewing itself no matter how much its torqued on, and i blew the dipstick out twice this week and i have not even been getting on it. i tried cleaning up the oil under the hood and thats when i found a that i had broken the balance shaft belt and it was just dangling in there under the cam gear. it wont come out and the t/b is still in good shape, what can i do and what could the consequences be of a broken balance shaft belt?

----------------------------------------------
91 Tsi Awd "fast eddy"
4bolt rear,
act2100
auto meter boost guage,
8mm wires,
cut air can w/ K&N
Joe p. mbc @15psi
hollowed out cat.

·
Registered
634 Posts
shott17 said:
my car has been just losing power at times all of a sudden but just temporarily, and i dont knwo what the F to do. my oil filter has been unscrewing itself no matter how much its torqued on, and i blew the dipstick out twice this week and i have not even been getting on it. i tried cleaning up the oil under the hood and thats when i found a that i had broken the balance shaft belt and it was just dangling in there under the cam gear. it wont come out and the t/b is still in good shape, what can i do and what could the consequences be of a broken balance shaft belt?
I'm strictly guessing here- but the oil dipstick and filter both popping out of place could be from pressure being built up. The balance shaft belt basically smoothes out your engine. Which is why there is an eliminator kit for it to give you one less belt to worry about (in addition to a few extra horsepower). A broken one means trouble for the timing belt (especially running the risk of breaking it and ruining your engine).

As for the oil filter popping out and dipstick popping out being related to the balance shaft belt- I honestly don't know.

BUT!!!

Here's what I suggest you do if I were you:

1. Go HERE and click on the ENGINE link. Scroll down about 75% of the way down and you will see the Balance Shaft Eliminator Kit. (looks like two silver rings, a small piece of metal, and a yellow/orange looking circle).

2. Once you've found what I'm talking about, order it.

2a. Order an OEM dipstick HERE

3. Then order new belts (timing belt & accessory belts) but not the balance shaft belt since you'll get rid of it.

4. Take the car in to a shop (PREFERABLY a race/import/DSM shop) and have them re-do the timing belt and make sure your engine is running with the right timing (so the timing belt didn't jump any teeth). I work on my car... but installing the timing belt is where I draw my line (too risky).

5. Have them install the balance shaft eliminator kit along with the other accessory belts (so they don't break any time soon either).

6. New oil (I suggest you run synthetic) with a new oil filter (some people recommend the 3000GT VR4 filter you can get at a Mitsubishi Dealer). Once you've done that then pop in the new OEM dipstick and take it for a drive.

7. Cross your fingers :)

·
Honorary Moderator
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks alot, i do run mobil 1, and this isnt the first time ive had a filter come lose, i think im just going to put in the other motor i picked up, its out of a 90 awd w/ 60k on it, im gonna do the timing and accesory belts and hope, i plan to eventually get my motor thats in it rebuilt and reinstalled for the purpose of origionality. thanks for your help, is there any other suggestions guys?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your oil filter coming off is a result of the threaded shaft backing out of the water cooling jacket. Take the filter off and pull the shaft out by hand. Clean it with carb cleaner and use RED locktite to reinstall. Itll never come out again. If your balance shaft belt skipped but the car runs, you are probably ok. Have a timing belt job with balance shaft removal kit done. I would not reccommend trying to do this unless you are highly mechanically inclined. Pay someone. Good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Face it - when you pull your head for the first time there are a dozen other things you'll wish you'd done & NOW is the time to do it - essentially you strip the block down to nothing but a block & a crank (with tranny still attached of course) do the timing belt job - do the balance shaft mod - install new piston rings - install all new seals across the front case - put on a 90 oil filter case & can your water-cooler - & change every gasket & hose you can. It's a mini - rebuild. The sooner you reconcile yourself to this the better you'll be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts