DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking in to buying a 91 talon awd that has a broken timing belt. I was wondering what kind of problems the broken timing belts create. How much one with a broken belt is worth. Is it worth it to buy it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The last client that brought me one of these I billed 2000$ to fix it and that was the minimum damage. If it took out pistons it would've been more. Plan accordingly. I billed 1000$ labor.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Is it real cheap?! You might end up replacing valves, and pistons. Could be a good way to start, definitely a good way to learn if you are mechanically competent and do most of your own work. Some get lucky with no damage. Honestly, haven't heard of many though.

Anybody else got input? Something I forgot maybe...

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
10 Posts
The '92 I just got running had a ruined cylinder head, and 1 piston ruined also. The other 3 pistons had minor nicks on them. The exhaust cam was also damaged. It kicked all of the exhaust followers out. I priced a head with cams, complete, around me, used, at $900. I sent to Hershey, Pa., and got a good used one for about $450. I then bought 1 piston, 4 sets of rings,($200+ at dealer with resale number). Then I bought a gasket set from a local NAPA ($220). I then ordered all the other parts in the timing belt area (plan on replacing everything to be safe, another $250 with resale number). I already had a new NAPA timing belt ($50+). I did all the work myself. A machine shop charged $10 to hang and align 1 rod & piston. I had to drive 284 miles to get this done. It can get real expensive.!!!
Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts