DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have all sorts of smashed bugs and junk all over the front of my car - I've tried a couple different cleansers that don't mess with the paint, but nothing has worked so far. This shit won't even come off with a brush. Looks so nasty when the rest of my car is spotless, I can't stand it. Any ideas?

·
Honorary Administrator
17,452 Posts
That is what they make bug and tar remover for. ;)

Don't rub too hard. Just work it into a small spot at a time then buff it. Repeat if necessary.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ever try furniture polish???

I know it sounds odd but my friend swears by it, and thats what they use in the detail shop, also he said use pledge as a quick detailer before shows, as long as it doesnt rain, you all good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
PUGSX said:
Clay bar.... i promise..... it'll work.
\

A clay bar is a bit harsh for removing bugs. You probably will want to try a chemical solution (like bug and tar remover) before you use something that grinds off your clear coat. Use it wrong and you can really f#k up your cc/paint

·
Registered
194 Posts
clay bar doesn't grind off your clear coat, it doesn't do anything to your clear coat at all. Clay bar is not a polish.

This is my experience. fresh paint black, 60 days old, 10 hour drive, lots of bugs, didn't get to wash them off till 2 days later. Bug stains set in. Used 3M bug and tar remover and it left dull spots on the paint.

So i though, what the heck, might as well try this clay shit. So i put it to the bumper where there were heaps of old and new bug stains. Took them all off with no harm to the paint at all. Make sure to wax after using clay.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Clay bar..hehe...go right ahead, unless you value your paint. Clay bar is to remove overspray, not polish your car. You literally grind off a layer of paint And unless you know how to use tihs stuff, you got scratch city ...

Turle Wax sux ( i'll bet it contains kerosene) , atleast buy a product that is paint safe, like 1 grand or such (citrus based)... the best way is to check for those bugs daily. More than that, and they will be a permanent part of your paint. Also, put some wax on after you use bug & tar removers..to get the PH value down ..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Im in automotive refinishing... claybar fact not fiction

the clay bar should be used with a wet car with car wash soap present to lubricate the surface...Then the bar should glide across the surface to remove unwanted imperfections.
The clay bar DOES remove some paint (albeit minimal) with the imperfections atop the paint. It should be used pretty sparingly or else you will eventually burn the paint and need a repaint.
It is abrasive so use with caution and dont over do it.

Its effects, however, on paint are minimal and dont cause catestropic damage. Just beware it also removes clear.

If you have a single stage then DO not touch the bar to your paint. Only if you have a clear.

Also for those intirely uninformed - this is not just any clay - it most be found at an automotive refinishing center or pep boys...
I reccomend 3m clay, but mothers works just as well.

A claybar is primarilly used to rid a car of overspray (if it wasnt masked) during an autobody repair.

Good luck with your bugs

·
Registered
721 Posts
I use a citrus based cleaned I found at Walmart, but I forgot what its called. Perfect. No damage to paint, let it sit and use less elbow grease. Make sure to polish, wax, and buff afterwards. Good luck,

·
Registered
18 Posts
when i have really bad bug and sap stains i just use plain old rubbing alcohol.....it works and it doesn't seem to damage the paint......just make sure you wax after applying the alcohol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
PUGSX said:
clay bar doesn't grind off your clear coat, it doesn't do anything to your clear coat at all. Clay bar is not a polish.

Maybe i misunderstood you, but how does clay grind off a layer of paint then it's contains no abrasives?

If it's not abrasive, than how does it get the bugs off? Dreams and happy thougths? That which will grind off bugs will do the very same to clear coat or paint. There's just no way around that. Thats why it's better to use a chemical solution (ie bug and tar remover) than what is basically the eqivilent of clay super-fine-grained sandpaper.

I'd say try goo-gone. That stuff is amazing, with some soaking time and some work I'm sure it'l take just about anything off the car. Make sure you wax afterwards, though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, i'm just sharing my views. My experience with clay was much better than any tar and bug remover. I would be able to tell if the clay "ground my clear coat off" or not as the paint was brand new, and it didn't. Result was much better with clay than tar remover so.......

Most of the info i found on-line said that clay was more gentle, contained no abrasives (when compared to even fine cut polish). I guess whatever floats your boat. If you can [email protected] up your paint job using clay, i guess you weren't using it right then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
PUGSX said:
Well, i'm just sharing my views. My experience with clay was much better than any tar and bug remover. I would be able to tell if the clay "ground my clear coat off" or not as the paint was brand new, and it didn't. Result was much better with clay than tar remover so.......

Most of the info i found on-line said that clay was more gentle, contained no abrasives (when compared to even fine cut polish). I guess whatever floats your boat. If you can [email protected] up your paint job using clay, i guess you weren't using it right then.
I'm not trying to be a dick, BUT... how in the world do you think clay bar does anything??? Are you under the impression it uses chemicals? Seriously, hopes and dreams don't make the clay bar work, there's a physical explanation, which you don't seem to want to admit. That explanation is that the clay bar has very very fine particles that grind. That's how it removes overspray and imperfections (what it's made for), and how it removed those bugs from your bumper. It's not made from ground up unicorn horn and magic fairies (or elves, gnomes, or pixies) don't make it work either.

Properly lubed and used sparingly and gently, it won't suddenly reduce your car to primer, of course, it's not like attacking your car with a belt sander. You probably won't even notice the clear coat taken off if it's used correctly, but that doesn't change the fact that it does remove clear coat. If you don't know how to use it right, it wouldn't be hard at all to seriously mess up a spot on your car.

But really, how in the world do you think it works??? Since you seem to be the clay bar expert.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, it contains very very fine particles... grind your clear coat off? GRIND??? come on, you make it sound like just one use of clay and it's over. Given two choices to remove etched on bugs, use a polish or clay, which would you use?

The statement i made that it doesn't contain abrasives is wrong. I should have really said compared to polishes, it is comparatively more gentle.

So i found that clay works better than tar remover in my case. What do you want me to do?

I do enjoy your sarcasm though :D And i don't recall saying i was the clay expert.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
JEBUS FIEST!

You guys get heated pretty quick huh!?
Riddle me this then, when I got my ground effects (I swear the erebuni front end ATTRACTS bugs) I of course got them painted... unlike some people we all know.... My buddy actually painted it for me... Base coat clear coat. Used PPG paint and what he said was a really good clear... but I dont understand why bugs WONT stick to my front end? Like seriously... a wet rag and they are off without a trace... And I dont wax... I dont even wash the car more than once a week? I assure you I'm not complaining... But does anyone know why? Im like puzzled in a good way. And I'm not believing the "well maybe its more aerodynamic so the bugs dont hit as hard" crap either... I do 120 on the turnpike... and 90 thru the country. They hit hard enough that you can hear them hit... LOL. Any ideas?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Get this Meguires EXTRA, that's what it's called, comes in a purple bottle. It degreases everything very well and removes ALOT of stuff, the label even says road-tar, and that's hardcore! Anyways, it's good because it's 100% safe, or so it claims to be. I don't exactly have a showroom paint job, but I use it with no worries and pretty much anything. On my old car I even got wax on the black rubbery stuff around the rear window and it made it white, this stuff cleaned it off after like 2 weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts