DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am cruising around looking for a race, yes im that bored! And i spot a buick grand national. Wow, i havent seen much of those, and ive been hearing around the boards that Grand Nationals are fast. so i pull up at the stoplight and To my surprise, a guy that looked in his 40s was driving it. I tell the guy "Hey, wanna race?", he replies "havent had a race in years, why not". We prepare to race. and then the light goes green and we are off. He gets a slight lead at the start. He is only1/2 a car ahead of me at the start. which isnt that bad. I start reeling him fast, then i stop reeling him in fast, and i find out that im hardly pulling on him anymore. Im pulling VERY slowly. And by the end of the race, which is at 130 MPH (yup...) i was hardly in front of him, i would say i was 1/16 of a carlength ahead!!! This was definitely my closest race ever! i gave the guy props buy giving him a thumbs up . He smiles at me and when we hit ANOTHER stoplight. The guy says "wow, that was the most fun ive had in months, thanks". heh, that was cool

·
Registered
668 Posts
yes

yes, please post what exactly your engine is and what the hp amount it cranks out. I know stock GN are capable of hitting high 12's in stock form if driven properly....my neighbor use to be on the testing crew for GM and he said that if driven properly they CAN hit high 12's.....so i don't want to hear ne one saying thats not true...he tells me stories all the time and he is very knowledgable on the turbos and engines that are in those cars.
I'm sure on average though they hit low 13's with 107 traps...what does your car do?
-Ryan

·
Registered
584 Posts
he just has a jspec mkIII engine, before the 1jz-gte came out.
basically the same as the us spec mkIII turbo cars.
GNs are not that fast stock, especially the 84s and 85s.
with his mods I'd say a GNX would take him, but a regular unmodded GN would be a close race with a bpu mkIII.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Re: yes

R.Y.N.O (98GSX) said:
yes, please post what exactly your engine is and what the hp amount it cranks out. I know stock GN are capable of hitting high 12's in stock form if driven properly....my neighbor use to be on the testing crew for GM and he said that if driven properly they CAN hit high 12's.....so i don't want to hear ne one saying thats not true...he tells me stories all the time and he is very knowledgable on the turbos and engines that are in those cars.
I'm sure on average though they hit low 13's with 107 traps...what does your car do?
-Ryan
12s stock? Maybe 12s with the stock parts on it and tweeked boost. I watch a handful of them run at the track and it's 13s with minor mods and low 12s with new turbos. The GNs are awesome cars with mad potential (10s or better), but even Buick claims the car at 14.4 @ 97 mph in stock form. He must be one good driver.

As for the Supra putting down a GN:rolleyes: :confused: . Could happen I have built a 13.52 @ 106 1987 Supra Turbo w/ 7MGTE this year, thats 13.52 on the stock hairdryer. But mine has alot of other mods in that heavy monster.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Re: yes

R.Y.N.O (98GSX) said:
-Ryan

uhhhh no

a Gn will hit high 13 low 14
gnx is a mid to low 13 sec car

they launch HARD, but compared to their low end, they lack in the top end.

1000 in mods and your in the low 12's high 11's

at the time, NOTHING less than a exotic could touch them. And even then, it was going to be close.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't know about this, are you sure it wasn't a Buick Regal? Yeah GM fucked up that year, nothing should have more HP then a Vette of be faster then a Vette, and will allways be like that. But for that year, the GN's were faster then the Vettes, funny shit.

My first Car was a MKIII NA SUPRA beautiful car, full optioned - the turbo, but not that fast, certainly not fast enough to take out a GN, solid car though, I Love them.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yeah we have the tta with the same motor as the gn i have hit a 13.7 stock. Most gn with the right chip can hit 12's i will say that but most now due to the age, stock only hit low 14's high 13's.

·
Registered
668 Posts
wait wait

I talked to him and he said that there was a certain model that came with upgraded turbos in it. the only way you could get these turbos was if you had that model meant for them. if you had a "regular" gnx then the factory wouldn't let you upgrade to the more powerful turbos. he must have been talking about the upgraded turbo model hitting 12's stock! he also said that they have a lot of down low power but it kinda faids out when you get up there. he said that they could take a vette to 100mph and then the vette would start catching up and am asuming passing it as well. if you want i can do some research and find out about the upgraded turbo model?
-Ryan

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The motor in his car is the 3.0L inline six from the early model Supra or Soarer. If it was in the Soarer it was usually one of the few times you found a Soarer with a M/T in it. They aren't exactly the same engine as the newer Supra but there are shops who sell parts for them. I'd say its about as good as the 1JZ used in the newer Soarer, Chaser and Verossa.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Re: wait wait

R.Y.N.O (98GSX) said:
I talked to him and he said that there was a certain model that came with upgraded turbos in it. the only way you could get these turbos was if you had that model meant for them. if you had a "regular" gnx then the factory wouldn't let you upgrade to the more powerful turbos. he must have been talking about the upgraded turbo model hitting 12's stock! he also said that they have a lot of down low power but it kinda faids out when you get up there. he said that they could take a vette to 100mph and then the vette would start catching up and am asuming passing it as well. if you want i can do some research and find out about the upgraded turbo model?
-Ryan
There was only two versions of the Turbo Buick ever made as far as I know.

The standard turbo 3.8 and then the GNX.

Oh and the TB's have only one turbo. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
guys, i havent been to the track yet, so i dont know what my times are yet.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Re: wait wait

R.Y.N.O (98GSX) said:
-Ryan
the gn has a normal turbo

the gnx had the special turbo. Ceramic wheel for a faster spool up and of course some of odds and ends to make them ungodly fast for there time. Only a certian number of gnx's were made too.

also, a gn can run a stock 13 sec time and sound the same as a 10 sec pass.

The cars are oddly quiet for having 500+ hp at the wheels(modded of course)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
They are still terribly priced. Most go for over 30,000. I would suggest getting a gn or a tta then modding it. There is also the T type that is a special buick that is rare and attracts a lot of attention. Still they are a little boxy for me. Big open interior though.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Black97TSIAWD said:
They are still terribly priced. Most go for over 30,000. I would suggest getting a gn or a tta then modding it. There is also the T type that is a special buick that is rare and attracts a lot of attention. Still they are a little boxy for me. Big open interior though.
It's a fast Monte Carlo :rolleyes: . Sorry guys, but I have little love for the 1980 American cars. I Love the Turbo though, thats the only reason that I love the GN.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Gn, GNX, and the T type are all turbos, what is not to love about them. Especially being able to mod it for less, and making it go faster then a DSM. Stock they go pretty quick, I guess because the way they look makes them undesirable to a few.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i know that there was a variation between the earlier and later models when it came to intercoolers.i wanna say that some of the earlier ones either didnt come with one,or they sucked royal ass.so adversely they either recieved IC's or they had better ones installed.i dunno whats right but i think im on the right track.anyone else?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts