DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have owned my dsm I have gone through two rear diffs. The 1st one (original) lost some teath after 135000 miles. I was able to locate a used one from the same car (5spd 1st gen) and now it is starting to get a little sloppy and making some severe noise at times.

Can your average mortal man rebuild a diff with a new ring and pinion, or am I going to have to take it hard and go visit satan? The plan is to buy a new R&P to rebuild the original diff while I can still drive on this one.

Am I looking at a lot of trouble? I know I will have to set mesh and bearing preload but I am willing to learn. ny one ever done there own dsm rear end?

·
Registered
368 Posts
rear rebuild

Hows it goin man, The rebuld is not that hard but you need like 1 thowsand dollars of tools to do it.You could just throw it together and it would last a week or two. i have to rebuld a rear for school and if you could arange for it to get to me, I would love to do it for ya.They have all the tools at school and thear would be a master tec over my sholder.
IM me at NSOLeprechaun and we will chat

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well seriously I am really looking at having this thing rebuilt at a local shop but they wont tell me a price. I am afraid they are going to rape me for 300$ or something. Is there any way I can do this?
I want an answer from a rear end builder that knows what.he/she is doing?

·
Registered
607 Posts
find a starion rear end ;)

if i'm not mistaken they have 6 bolt half shafts and a beafier LSD DIF plus they have the same gear ratio as a DSM :)

someone here has swapped a starion rear end into an AWD DSM

·
Registered
34 Posts
terrible said:
well seriously I am really looking at having this thing rebuilt at a local shop but they wont tell me a price. I am afraid they are going to rape me for 300$ or something. Is there any way I can do this?
I want an answer from a rear end builder that knows what.he/she is doing?
that is not rape.

$300.00 is about average for setting up a rear end properly.

http://www.richmondgear.com/rpinstruction.html

if you think you can do that have at it. it's not a 5 minute job and you are charged accordingly.

or you can half ass it for cheap and do it over many times.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am assumimg you are using 4 bolt diffs. I wouldn't waste time rebuilding a 3 bolt unless you are pretty much stock but you've "gone through two already". I am not sure about the 4 bolt internals but the axles are stronger than the 3 bolts.
The 1st one (original) lost some teath after 135000 miles
Lost teeth where? Off the ring and pinion? That's a bigger issue than wear. You're looking at damage either from debris or lack of oil.
I was able to locate a used one from the same car (5spd 1st gen) and now it is starting to get a little sloppy and making some severe noise at times.
Are you sure it's getting sloppy or are you turning the driveshaft and seeing u-joint slop? ("propeller shaft joints" according to the manual) With three of them under there the slop adds up.

You shouldn't be "wearing out" rear diffs so quickly. I think you have some other issues to diagnose and if you are going to rebuild be sure it's a 4 bolt.

Rick - '91 GSX - Two 3-Bolts...now a 4-bolt

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
these are four bolts we are talking about.

I think I am going through them so quick for buying used ones. The one I am trying to replace now was "supposed to be" low miles (less than 60 grand) But hey thats how used parts go.

Oh yeah and the teeth came off the ring AND the pinion. I roled around for a few months with a noise no one could figure out (not even the pros in here) I finally just got lucky and found the used one I am running now and pulled my old (original) diff apart. It had two consecutive teeth off the ring and one off the pinion.

What I am trying to do here is avoid the inevatable. I know this one is going to blow up and lose teeth too. I just have to stay ahead of it. That is why I want a brand new set of gears in it. THat way I know where it has been and what it has been through

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey terrible, where at are you from in west virginia. i live in south charleston.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you ever make it down to the charleston area? maybe we could get together and try to fix your rear diff.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brother if I had the cash to fix this bad boy I'd be on the way! but funding is a problem right now (as with all dsm'rs)

·
Registered
7 Posts
yo man, i got a rear diff in the garrage if you want to buy it. nothing wrong with it either, are you 3 or 4 bolt. i believe it is a 4, i didn't really pay attention. it came with the car when i bought it. she came with alot of extra parts. the guy that was building her liked to always be ready for the unexpected or something. but if you want it it's yours. lata:D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I'm not into buying another used diff. I really do want to fix it right and buying another used one is just delaying the problem.

Has anyone ever put a new ring and pinion in there diff or is everyone having better luck than me? I don't understand why the first one broke because I have no "horse power" mods. I guess things get old.

Also if I do get a new one, do you guys think having it cryogenically treated will help? I have been reading about it and I think it would be a good idea to make this thing last.

·
Registered
418 Posts
oh and im pretty sure that -87 was a 4bolt, and the 88-89 was the 6-bolt rear end, i tried for a very long time to find any info, hope the pics help...

-dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts