DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot of things from the archives about which turbo to get. Most of the people that posted things said that they were waiting for a certain type of turbo to arrive, then they would post what they think about them. Well, I am doing some research on which turbo would be the best to get. I was strongly looking at the Frank 4 but recently was told that those aren't as good as the Buschur 20G. Can anyone tell me why? Also which turbo would you guys recommend to get instead of the Frank 4 if you seriously feel that that particular turbo is not good? Thanx for your input.

------------------
'92 Eclipse GS 2.0L NT
http://www.geocities.com/trueracers

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
We need to know a whole lot before anyone is willing to tell you what to get. Especially, full race or street race? Why would you want a turbo for a 2.0L NT? What RPM do you plan on being able to run?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is actually easy to pick a turbo.
How much HP do you want to make, and what type of driving are you going to do?
I'll recommend a turbo.
(I sell turbos but you can get them from anyone, I don't care. I'll just help you pick it out it is your choice to pic who to buy it from)

------------------
[email protected]
(XXX) XXX-XXXX
http://www.diamondstarspecialties.com

**Admin Edit- Please, no vendor phone numbers in posts or sigs. Thanks. I recommend you tweek your sig so that your website is hotlinked. E-mail if you need some help doing that.**

[Edited by WhoaTed on 10-28-2000 at 06:07 PM]

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I bought my 16G last year from DSS real cheap. :D When you guys had the great sale, for 500 bucks. :D

------------------
1992 Eagle Talon TSI
13.8 @ 105.3 mph AT
Being Converted to 5-spd

·
Registered
871 Posts
i say go garrett all the way. garrett makes a way better turbo then mitsubishi. a nice garrett t3/to4 combo will out perform any mitsubishi turbo including a 20g...and have less lag. if you don't want the garrett, then get the next best thing, something with a garrett wheel in it....the frank turbo's. use the mitsubishi turbo as a last resort :D the mitsubishi turbo's are such an old design and aren't very efficiant.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a Frank 4 on my car and am in the process of switching to a Buschur 20G. Wanna know the reasons? Good thought you would, here it goes:

Frank 4 was a good running turbo, full spool by 4000rpms which isn't too bad in my book. But it created way too much heat at low psi and wasn't a very fast "pump gas" turbo. I did run a 12.21 @ 112 on pump gas once, but that was in some very cold temps and as the summer came about my pump gas mph went to ~105mph which is slower than what my 14b would do in the summer ~106mph. Then there was racegas runs at the strip. Best mph of 115.99, damn good but couldn't repeat it as the summer came about once again and could only muster a 114mph after switching from an Alamo to Buschur FMIC, best mph in the summer on the Alamo was 109 on race gas. These runs were at 24-25psi. I was then told by some knowledgable people that to get the max performance I needed to run 27-28psi on the stock head bolts (30psi if I had ARP's). On a street driven car I felt this was too much boost to run to gain 4-6mph in the 1/4. This would have given me traps in the 118-120 range, pretty fast you might say. Well my reasoning is that I know a guy on a Buschur 20G running 25psi, not 28, and he's getting 121mph on race gas and has his 116mph on pump gas boost of 20psi :D So now I am switching to a Buschur 20G to hopefully run quicker on pump gas and also race gas at a lower psi. Well, filled that one out like a Wal-Mart application.

Putting the turbo on this weekend, new tranny goes in next weekend. I'll try to post my thoughts of my car with the 20G here in a couple of weeks if you haven't got a turbo by then.

However I have driven my friends 2G w/ 1G head swap and Buschur 20G and all I can say is DAMN!! That thing spools low, full spool by ~3500 easy. Top end pull in 3rd gear is just crazy hard. I'd almost say 11 second car on pump gas as so did a friend who has a 12.4sec @ 111mph FWD and he said in 3rd and 4th that the AWD car pulls harder than his does.

Well, that's about it for now. Chew on all that info and let me know what you think.

Take it easy,

------------------
Jerry
11.98 @ 113
Team NABR
My Ride

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yeah I was figuring one of the teamnabr memeber would comment on this, as they tend to dislike Frank, and Garret turbos. :)

------------------
1992 Eagle Talon TSI
Being Converted to 5-spd

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't like franks, haven't had any good experiences w/ them and very few people are actuallt able to run good numbers w/ them. Mitsu's are tried and trued and the 20g turbo is a good one for these cars. But I say Garret all the way...it's more expensive to run at first but your sleection of turbos will now be huge.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I am having a hard time figuring out why the Franks are not performing up to everyones (including my own) expectations. On paper they look to me to be a better turbo than the 20g but there has been alot more success with the old 20g.

------------------

·
Registered
97 Posts
4G63Rydah: Give me a call at my shop tomorrow and I will give you some advice and maybe so tricks so that you can determine what turbo to go with. Please know ahead of time that I am going to ask you alot of questions about your setup and your future goals for the car.
XXX-XXX-XXXX

Richard www.thedsmshop.com

**Admin Edit- Notice to all vendors - Please... the only form of advertising permitted in posts is a discrete link to your web site in your sig. No phone numbers, no "call me at the shop", no "I have those in stock now", etc... Being helpful and having a link in your sig can be quite effective if free advertising is your intention. Sharing info with DSMrs is what this site is about, not extracting customers or obtaining free adverts. There has been an influx of this sort of spam lately and we're enforcing these rules so that these forums don't end up resembling a newsgroup. Not comimg down on the poster or any vendor in particular, this just happens to be a good time to bring up the issue. Thanks for your understanding and feel free to contact me if you have any questions or problems.**

[Edited by WhoaTed on 10-28-2000 at 06:00 PM]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts