DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father is a used car dealer, and even though I'm only 19, I've gone through several cars.. the one I kept the longest was a Black 96 Talon ESI. I love driving it but it was just too slow. I always dreamed of buying a 1g AWD Turbo.. they're just so incredibly cool and I love AWD. I couldn't imagine myself driving anything else.. besides, I drove a 1g N/T for a few days and the girls loved it :D

So now after much waiting and desire, I finally found my car.. in about a week I'm going to be buying a 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD with 80,000 original miles. I've had it thouroughly checked at my mechanic, and everything is great with it.. runs wonderfully (and really fast compared to everything else I've driven :cool: ). Body has a few scratches and mini dents but nothing major.

Even being that it is the fastest thing I've ever driven, it's never going to be good enough for me. Finally I have a tunable car, that I can actually put money into without having barely noticeable gains (*cough* 420a).

So what I would like to know is.. from the start, what are a few of the best mods to go with. I have a performance muffler that I never used and I will definately be getting a cat-back built at a local exhaust shop.. what size is optimal here? 3"? Or is that too big?

Also, what is the stock boost pressure and how high can I safely raise the boost on these cars, assuming the engine is still running strong with no problems. I don't want to raise it to the point where its "on the edge" of being safe, maybe a few Psi below that. I've heard things about the stock boost guage not being very good? I'll probably buy a manual boost controller and a new guage for this purpose.

Also wondering what kind of air/intake mods I should start off with, since I don't know that much about these cars.. is it worth modding this, will it give noticeable gains?

Lastly, how much power could I expect to be able to get starting off slow like this? I don't expect my car to be putting out 250HP.. but I'm just curious really.

Thanks in advance :)
-Vin

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow, thats alot of questions. I think you can get most of those answers from vfaq.com or 1000 already ans. Qs on the homepage of this forum.

But a heads up:
1. Pocketlogger
2. Boost Guage
3. K&N Filter
4. Cat-Back
Just to start off.

Also, if you go to some of the vendor sites they also post "power stages" pages. Research those and then you can figure out the route you want to take with your car. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The bigger the exhaust the better too;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your first mod should be a boost gauge. I regret not putting one on sooner. Its very important. A turbo timer is a valuable investment, but is not quite a performance mod. I did both at once, and Blitz dual turbo timer. Its a digital boost gauge and turbo timer in one. Pretty nice.

The bigger the exhaust the better. You really don't have to worry about back pressure with your turbo. 250 isn't to hard to make with these cars. Definitely read the 1000 AAQ's :)

Happy boosting :angel:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts