DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys as you know in a recent post entitle “My new dyno number” I put down some very nice hp and tq curves and this was done using a home made td05 20g turbo. I was so excited about those numbers I was convinced that a turbo upgrade would get me into the 400hp club for sure. So I purchased a Borg Warner s256 extended tip 49lbs/min turbo for this seemed, out of all my research to be the best choice for me. I installed it on the car and now I am having issues. First issue is the turbo spools very slow full boost about 5000 rpm. Second when it boosts it spike to 26 psi and drops very quickly to 20 psi according to boost gauge. Third the turbo is rated at 49lbs/min I am only seeing about 34 to 35lbs/min. here are some things that I have noticed. First gear pull boosts no more than 20psi. Second gear pull boost no more than 20 psi. Third gear pull boost gets to around 26 psi and quickly drops to 20 psi. Fourth gear pull boost gets to 26 psi and drops slowly to 20 psi. Another thing to note is that my karmen readings seems to flatten out about 2100hz. Here are some things I have tried already.

· Boost leak test and fixed them all. The system was pressure tested and holds 35psi very steady.
· Adjusted the wastgate rod as far as it will go. I can barely pull the actuator with pliers, after the adjustment, to get it back on the waste gate. So it has ton of tension on it. Infact when I pressure test the system and watch the waste gate is start to move about 40 psi.
· I even ran the car with the actuator disconnected and nothing changed.
· I even created a boost leak in the system, drove it down the road to see if the kHz reading would increase considering that the turbo now has to spin faster therefore sucking in more air from the mas. The kHz or karman reading did not increase which leads me to believe that the problem is that the turbo refuse to spin faster.
· I disconnected my down pipe to see if it made a difference nothing still the same.
· Next move is to rip the turbo off and send it back to bullseye power for inspection because something is definitely wrong. Before I do this please offer you suggestions as to what else can be done on my part. Thanks

My mod list
Hks 264 in 264 ex
EvoIII ex manifold
EvoIII 02 housing
Dsmlink v2
Aem uego wideband
Ross pistons/eagle rods
3” turbo back exhaust
Lightly ported head
Lightweight flywheel
Custom fmic short route piping
Stock intake manifold.

I will post a log when I figure out how to get it off my laptop!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I skimmed the thread. Sorry its early. What wastegate spring are you running? General rule of them is you should only go twice the spring psi in order to hold boost and prevent spiking. I.E. If you have a 7psi spring, boost no more than 14psi. Your probably not holding boost because of the wategate spring.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hotimportcrx said:
I skimmed the thread. Sorry its early. What wastegate spring are you running? General rule of them is you should only go twice the spring psi in order to hold boost and prevent spiking. I.E. If you have a 7psi spring, boost no more than 14psi. Your probably not holding boost because of the wategate spring.
its the spring that came with the turbo rated 15spi. i only tighten the spring to ensure that it indeed was not opening. so the problem i think lies somewhere else:dunno:

·
Registered
149 Posts
In 1st and 2nd gear your not gonna make all that boost. There is just not enough load. The top of 3rd you should be there though. Any wheel spin? Bc that could contribute to the load factor, not allowing you to hit full boost. I know it sounds stupid, but it happens. What boost controller are you running? An electronic boost controler, such as an avcr, will hold boost alot better than say a hallman. You can also adjust boost by gear.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hotimportcrx said:
In 1st and 2nd gear your not gonna make all that boost. There is just not enough load. The top of 3rd you should be there though. Any wheel spin? Bc that could contribute to the load factor, not allowing you to hit full boost. I know it sounds stupid, but it happens. What boost controller are you running? An electronic boost controler, such as an avcr, will hold boost alot better than say a hallman. You can also adjust boost by gear.
no wheel spin. even without boost controller the things still will not hold boost in the upper rpm. nor can i flow no more than 34lbs/min. even in 1rst and 2nd gears it should show at least the min amount of airflow!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, there is definitly a problem somewhere. Maybe you should have the turbo checked just to rule out that as a possibility. Keep the details posted.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That is weird, i sitting here trying to think of something relevant to your issue.
Is this car tuned by the way? you said you dropped the DP and no change and unplugged the w.g. and no change? Any bottle necks on the intake side or something off maybe that you over looked?

I would probably be were your at now in terms of sending the turbo back if it were me... Put your old turbo back on and see how it does.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: BW s256 boost issues! FIXED

Black_ bullet said:
Any bottle necks on the intake side or something off maybe that you over looked?
Man thanks a freaking lot you solved my problem i never thought in a million yrs that this could be the issue!!!
problem fixed thanks to black bullet:D the stock rubber turbo intake pipe was the [email protected]#$$% culprit. I am not going into a lot of detail but it wouldn't let the turbo bring in the air. now the turbo almost shines like it suppose to. so next i need to do some tuning. we cut to rubber section and put it closer to the turbo with a custom made pipe and the car seem 29lbs boost and drops to 25 by redline 44/min airflow. so i just ordered the 4" pipe from FP this should let me see the 50+ airflow that i am suppose to see. thanks again everybody who offered a suggestion:cool:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

97spyda said:
Man thanks a freaking lot you solved my problem i never thought in a million yrs that this could be the issue!!!
problem fixed thanks to black bullet:D the stock rubber turbo intake pipe was the [email protected]#$$% culprit. I am not going into a lot of detail but it wouldn't let the turbo bring in the air. now the turbo almost shines like it suppose to. so next i need to do some tuning. we cut to rubber section and put it closer to the turbo with a custom made pipe and the car seem 29lbs boost and drops to 25 by redline 44/min airflow. so i just ordered the 4" pipe from FP this should let me see the 50+ airflow that i am suppose to see. thanks again everybody who offered a suggestion:cool:
Yea man, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm surprised with your mods you would still be using the stock rubber intake pipe. Normally thats the first thing people replace. Glad you found the culprit and that 4" intake from FP should help that turbo alot.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

97spyda said:
where do you want me to send the beer:)
LOL

Hey man you should try to fab up that 4in intake into a cold air configuration.
I noticed worth while gains when I did a cold air intake setup on my 16g.
30deg temp drops in IAT i recall, and quicker spool.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Black_ bullet said:
LOL

Hey man you should try to fab up that 4in intake into a cold air configuration.
I noticed worth while gains when I did a cold air intake setup on my 16g.
30deg temp drops in IAT i recall, and quicker spool.
did this today! still waiting on the pipe so i can do some logging!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: BW s256 boost issues! logs

well after finally getting the fp pipe on i had an opportunity to run two logs. both of these logs are untuned @ 26psi. one log is using map setting in airflow after 2200hz and the other one is just the normal airflow. you might note that boost does not drop on one of these log which show that the s256 is very capable of holding high boost. both of these run are with pump gas 93octane. my gas light is on so this explain the knock on one of these runs as well. i only did the two pulls so i can post some info on the turbo we will tune it tommorrow and i will post the dyno numbers over the weekend! logs can be found here

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tur...ved-bw-s256-boost-issues-2.html#post151557927

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dyno results!!

well i finally got to the dyno!! very please with outcome. i laid down 419hp 368tq @ 28psi droping to 20 psi by redline and this is due to the fact i have no tuning what so ever and a ebay manual boost controller. dyno guy was very impressed considering this was done on untune motor. he said that with 30psi and some tuning to get my timing in the right area i could get around 450hp. i also mixed 4 gallon of c16 on top of my 4 gallons of pump gas. overall i am pleased but there are some things that i will be changing here in the near future before actually doing a full tune. i will be going with an external wastegate setup. and also an electronic boost controller. as well as water injection. go here

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tur...ved-bw-s256-boost-issues-2.html#post151561278

1 - 20 of 20 Posts