DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which timing gears

Which is the best adjustable timing gear. Or what kind do you trust. And if you could tell me where to get them? And how much? thanks jay

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My question is hass anyone used the Fidanza Adjustable timing gears. If so can you give me some feed back. Thanks If you use another kind let me know and the good and the bad about them thanks jay:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
We had a set of Unorthodox Racing camgears on the drag car. We never adjusted them, but they were well built set. We did have the bolts on the intake gear come loose and thus trash the valves. The gears didn't fall apart, they were just allowed to swing +-15deg freely. Doh! The accident was mostly our stupidity. We didn't thread lock the bolts or safety wire them. Just tightened them down and went racing. Paid for it a few months down the road.

I have heard bad things about the AEM cam gears. SUPPOSEDLY they are not precisely marked/aligned and 0deg may not be completely correct. This is just a rumor I heard as I have never seen the proof w/ my own eyes. Smart way to check this on ANY cam gear would be to align the dowl holes on the new one and stock one and align the timing belt teeth. Not too difficult, and it could be worth the effort.

Not familiar w/ the Fidanza cam gears. I'm sure they are nice. Their flywheels are. Great customer service too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help im get the unorthdox then

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Timing gears are expensive and I haven't see people get much HP from them. But I you still want them lots of people get AEM, personal I like HKS. There cam are awesome too. If I were you I would spend your money on cams instead of gears.. more HP from cams then gear. like at least 20 more.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting the hks cams. But i want to put gears on them to get it all tunned in the right way. So it idles good or do they idles good with stock gears. Personally i trust stock gears more but people tell me that you need to tune in the cams to get to idle. thanks j:D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
With HKS cam you car idle fine.. If you were to go out and purchase the Web then you will need the gears to tune them. HKS made there cam so that there are perfect with the stock gears. Honestly get the cam and use stock gears. More bang for you bux.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks i think thats what im going to do. Thanks man i trust the stock gears more any way.:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have OBX truthfully not a bad gear. They are about the same weight as stock. At first i didn't think the timings were aligned either but i compared the to the stock gears and they were fine. These are also 5 or 6 bolt. i'm not looking at them so i can't remember. They won't slip i've had mine on for 8 mos now and no slipping problems i haven't even had to tighten them again. However if anyone knows a good setting for them that's not too extreme for me to try i would appreciate it. Thanx

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where did you get those at. thanks jay

·
Registered
170 Posts
well surprisingly enough i got mine off of ebay for about hmm 75-80 a piece. I believe OBX has a website you can look at retail is in the 120-130 a piece range i believe

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
When I do cams (HKS) I'm going to get cam gears as well (probably HKS also). It's always a good idea to degree in a cam, no matter what the brand. This will yield the best performance and idle quality. Even though mild HKS cams reportedly have a good idle with stock cam gears, if you were get a set of more aggressive cams (272/272 for example), the idle might not be so great.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that is what im getting the 272 hks cams. Thanks jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts