DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just order a pair of hks 272's for my 97 gsx with the crower spring and retainer set... my question is how hard is it to install all this? my shop wants $650 but i have a couple buddies that are mechanics for bmw and have worked on dsm's before that will charge me like $150. you think most knowledgable mechanics could handle the install? i also got dsm link which i need to learn how to use.... last thing what should u be looking at for power gains with the 272's?

thanks,

kevin

·
Registered
384 Posts
all you need is a torque wrench and some basic knowledge. The only shitty part is taking your cam sprockets off, I usually zip tie them together and let them hang then pry them back onto the cams. This is a 2 person job, get one of your mechanic friends to "help" you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just a word of advice! If your running a stock cas? did you have the intake cam tapped for the cas? if you didn't make sure you have a drill and a tap and a safe way to drill and tap it :) I am sure you will enjoy the cams! Good luck!

·
Registered
384 Posts
there are 5 (?) brackets that hold each cam down, they have to come out (untorqueing from the middle outward) and the sprockets (2 teeth'd wheels that the timing belt sits on) have to be detached from the cams. Get someone to do it for you but do it with them so you gain the knowledge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts