DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mods are listed in my sig.

I will also have a 3000GT VR4 fuel pump, and 2.5" UIP

can i safely run 18psi?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i wont damage anything by hitting fuel cut? and I wont damage anything running 18psi without a after market exhaust? just wanted to make sure no money for the exhaust for a few months at least.

how will i know when i hit fuel cut?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I will have to agree with Blackboost. It's a lot safer if you some fuel upgrades. I ran 20psi with no fuel mods and eventually ended up with a hole in a piston. :(

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
darn, ok but I know I needed these things before anyways.

what mods am I missing?

go by what is just in my sig.

with the EGT and 550 injectors i know what those are.

the S-AFC what is that exactly? and what companies make good ones?

·
Registered
64 Posts
CyByte said:
the S-AFC what is that exactly? and what companies make good ones?
Stands for Super - AirFlow Converter. It's a type of fuel management unit made by Apexi. You can get one at most major DSM vendors.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Also with the VR4 fuel pump I'm sure you will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh gotcha :) that must be the blue thing i see people have.... what all information does that tell you?

nope from what I was told the 3000 GT VR4 pump is 180lph and is enough to let you run 20psi with a 16g and does not require a fuel pressure regulator the ecu can handle it just fine by itself :)

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
CyByte said:
oh gotcha :) that must be the blue thing i see people have.... what all information does that tell you?
The S-AFC will let you fine tune those 550 injectors and let you use a 2G MAS which flows a lot more than the 1G one. Other mods that you should trow to the mix:

1. 2.5" or 3" exhaust system.
2. Port job - wastegate hole, exhaust manifold turbine housing and O2 housing.
3. Remove lower honeycomb on 1G mas (if you're going to stay with it).

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quite a bit more has to be done it looks like, but I want to play it safe so I dont blow my car up, I'm really looking forward to going to the next years shootout :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
listen to blackboost. you will be good with that fuel pump and no regulator. get a FULL exhuast as your next mod. you will have a nice increase in spool time and hp. run 15psi for now until you find out what you are doing. get an egt as well. http://www.westach.com/products.htm sells good ones for cheap. use the best gas you can get

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will save up for the full exhaust and get the UIP first. I really can't afford to ruine an engine or my life doing it :)

on a side note, does anyone know of some 52mm egt gauges that glow orange or red to match my 1g dash lights? i want a very accurate gauge though, my automeeter boost gauge is pretty sad (its off by 2 numbers) ;)

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
CyByte said:
i will save up for the full exhaust and get the UIP first. I really can't afford to ruine an engine or my life doing it :)

on a side note, does anyone know of some 52mm egt gauges that glow orange or red to match my 1g dash lights? i want a very accurate gauge though, my automeeter boost gauge is pretty sad (its off by 2 numbers) ;)
The Autometer Pyrometer Gauge wil do the trick for you...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry to interrupt, but isn't 18 psi too much on the stock turbo? Man!!! if can run 18 psi on the stocker, why the hell am I buying all these mods for, if all I need is some serious boost increase? I have bought just about any bolt-on theres is; T3/T4, Speraco intercooler, AVC-R, S-AFC, 3" downpipe and exhaust, a/f, boost, and egt gauges, Greddy Type S BOV, Turbonetics Wastegate w/9psi spring, 2600 ACT Clutch kit, 255 Walbro fuel pump, regulator w/gauge, 550CC RC eng. injectors zzzz ... you name it. The list is just too long...but 18 psi??? I didn't know these suckers could take that much pounding!!!

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
18 psi isn't too much for the 14B, but it's pushing it. You might be thinking of the T25.
You're buying those mods because the T3/T4 will outflow the 14B by miles, and can support 25 psi with no problem. It's the flow rate that is most important, not the air pressure. At 18 PSI a 14B is starting to max out, while a T3/T4 is just hitting it's sweet spot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts