DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone said they have a N/T FPR on there 1st gen since it flows more then a turbo model and there 255 fuel pump won't overrun it. I searched but didn't see anything on this subject can anyone give me an insight on this. Also how do you tell if your stock FPR is going bad I think mine is since I run lean even at stock boost levels with a rewired pump and a Denso 150 fuel pump. The pump is supposed to flow more then a Walboro 190 but I am not sure if this is true since I can't find the flow rates for the Denso. thanks

·
Banned
158 Posts
Yeah, that person is a tard. You do know that the turbo fpr raises the pressure with boost (n/t does not do that) They do have a higher base fuel pressure though. But it will not work with a turbo charged car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
bryanwheat said:
Yeah, that person is a tard. You do know that the turbo fpr raises the pressure with boost (n/t does not do that) They do have a higher base fuel pressure though. But it will not work with a turbo charged car.

That person is not a tard you are, and a N/T fpr most certainly does raise the boost 1:1 just like a turbo one. It just has a higher base fuel pressure.

·
Honorary Administrator
17,457 Posts
Tom N. said:
That person is not a tard you are, and a N/T fpr most certainly does raise the boost 1:1 just like a turbo one. It just has a higher base fuel pressure.
I agree. It will not help over run though.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
greenstreak said:
I agree. It will not help over run though.

But would it be better overall if someone had a 255walboro and a N/T FPR vs a 255walboro and stock fpr? Other than having a higher base fuel pressure are there any other benefits to having the N/T one? I ask because I can get one for pretty cheap and I think my FPR is on the outs. I detonate at stock boost levels and run very lean, Unless my injectors are totally clogged. Thanks for the learning

·
Registered
379 Posts
nope, if you have a big pump, it will over run it the same as your stock one. The regulator is identical except for the pressure device inside.

On a stock car, you can hold off on injectors for a bit longer with an N/T regulator. If you do some maf work, open filter and a good full exhuast, you can run an n/t regulator and turn your boost up a bit more than with the stock one.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bohrn said:
nope, if you have a big pump, it will over run it the same as your stock one. The regulator is identical except for the pressure device inside.

On a stock car, you can hold off on injectors for a bit longer with an N/T regulator. If you do some maf work, open filter and a good full exhuast, you can run an n/t regulator and turn your boost up a bit more than with the stock one.

Why am I running lean and detonating on stock boost levels? I can't go past 12psi and even at that I can't hold the gears long since my egt's shoot up and I hear it detonating.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darksyne said:
To you have a datalogger to confirm what the engine is doing? When was the fuel filter replaced?

Yes I have a logger I get lots of timing in the 30+ and lots of knock 40 plus. I just got the logger so not sure what the hell it's telling me. I replaced the filter about 3 weeks ago, denos 150 pump, rewire

·
Registered
195 Posts
Chicago1 said:
I just got the logger so not sure what the hell it's telling me.
lol...isn't there a site floating around that has a picture of the palm where you click on the different screens and it gives you a complete run down of everything?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Polked4G63T said:
lol...isn't there a site floating around that has a picture of the palm where you click on the different screens and it gives you a complete run down of everything?

not that I know of. I know how to use it but I have no clue what readings it's telling me or what they mean. How muck knock is good, what about timing. low fuel trims, etc etc

·
Registered
379 Posts
ok, you need to learn what to do with the logger. first off.

I will tell you that with pump gas, 30+ degrees of timing is too much at WOT. That can definately cause knock.

Set/get your timing set the right way, and make sure its at spec. You have to ground 2 terminals and have it up to temp etc.

After you do that, and learn a bit more about the datalogger, go for another few 2nd and 3rd gear pulls and come on back with the new logs.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Chicago1 said:
Yes I have a logger I get lots of timing in the 30+ and lots of knock 40 plus. I just got the logger so not sure what the hell it's telling me. I replaced the filter about 3 weeks ago, denos 150 pump, rewire
lol!!!!! :p I feel you. I bought a logger but i have no idea what it tells me and how to use it for tunning. I know that knock is supposed to be at 0 but thats about is and since i have a 2g im screwed. I have been searching, trying to find out some basics about logging and tuning but not much luck so if you find something let me know. :D

·
Honorary Administrator
17,457 Posts
If you are knocking at stock boost levels you have a few things to check.
-carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. The fix= Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner aka MCCC

-old or improperly torqued knock sensor. If you put your hand on the back of the block and feel goo around the sensor it is shot. It is also easy to have it over tightened. I usually snug it up by hand and then give it a quarter turn with a wrench.

-Set your base timing to 5* BTDC

-Make sure you have no boost leaks. Leaks will make the turbo work hard, heat up the air and bring on knock.

·
Registered
379 Posts
oh and make sure you are running 91 octane or better fuel. These cars are not designed to work well with cheap horsepiss.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys I found out why I am running lean at stock boost levels. The vac tube that goes to the FPR had come off. I reconnected it and my egt won't go above 1250 now and no more pinging. I guess it wasnt raising the boost. I got lucky I didn't blow something now I am gonna go do some logging.

·
Registered
379 Posts
glad you got it sorted.

the lesson is, check the simple things first. Stereo not working, check the fuse, going lean at boost, check for a loose hose ;)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bohrn said:
glad you got it sorted.

the lesson is, check the simple things first. Stereo not working, check the fuse, going lean at boost, check for a loose hose ;)

How it came off now that I don't know

1 - 19 of 19 Posts