DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesturday I was driving to school and my check engine light came on. The car ran fine but i was still cautious. After school i brought the car to Autozone to get the code checked and although i couldnt see the code reader the guy said something about an exhaust leak (small). So that was it, they couldn't really give me any more info. So i left, and listened for an different sound in my exhaust. Nothing sounds different, although when i open the hood after i drive i barely smell some gas smell. It might have always been like that, its just that now im noticing any little difference in the car. The check engine light remains on, only when the car is on. If I turn the key to the accesorry position it stays off. its a 97' eagle talon. The car has 66,000 miles. The timing belt was replaced at 60,001 miles and its a possibility that my spark plugs and wires need to be changed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
405 Posts
My CEL was on after putting in 2 brand new 02's, 4 new plugs, and new magnecors. I "fixed" it by putting a peice of tape over the CEL.:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still have the light

Well i went to get my check engine diagnosed at autozone. They gave me a code of 442. We looked it up and it said something about the Exhaust Emmisions Leak (small). I then tried the key trick, but the light did not flash.

So basicly i think i have an exhaust leak somewhere. Or could this also be a bad 02 sensor? I have a breather filter on that crankase hose sticking out of the top of the engine. Could that be causing this.

I brought it to an exhaust shop, but they could not find any leaks on the exhaust piping.

Any other ideas fellas?

·
Registered
178 Posts
well i dont know how old this post is but the same thing is happening to me... the cel is on and i can smell alot more gas and also when i let off at 3k rpms and my engine winds down the car gives a deep deep GROOOOWLLLL... im bringing it to the dealership tonight+

·
Registered
178 Posts
just got back.. it was from my car running "too rich" they said it happened for a split second, triggering the engine light and they just cleared it and waved goodbye

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm maybe that was the same problem i had. Anyway, I checked all hoses, and then I had an exhaust shop check for leaks. All i can think of is i had a screw missing on one of the heat shields, and one of my vac hoses was not on as tight as it should be. Well I re connected the battery. The car runs fine and no C/E light! Ill see how long that lasts!

thanks everyone

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yup the CEl comes on when its an emissions problem mine came on last night well Buschar catback and offraod pipe here I come.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts