DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres what happening with my car, when I first start it up it doesn't want to idle and will occasionally die, but once it is warmed up it runs fine and the CEL light is on, but only when the motor is running, it wont stay on without the car running so I can't do the thing with the key to see how many times it flashes. Here is what I've done, I thought it was the egr valve so I got a new one and that didnt' fix the problem, reset the ecu still get the light and it still doesnt' want to run cold. I've went over all the vacuum lines and I can't see or hear any leaks, i've cleaned out the throttle body, checked the plugs and wires. The car is a 96 GS with a cold air intake as the only thing done to the motor and I'm at 78k miles. Does anyone have any clue what the deal is, I don't have a scan tool so I can't pull the code that way, i went to autozone since they do it for free ane they told me they can't do foreign cars, which I argued that is is a mopar engine and the same as an american eagle talon and they said they might get in trouble if they did it. I am completely clueless on what to even think about what could be wrong with it. my theory is it has to be in the emissions or the vaccum since it only does it when its cold. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone, anyone at all??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i broke down and bought a scan tool and i got the code of the idle control system malfunctioning. where exactly is this on my car.

·
Registered
236 Posts
ICS is the idle speed control motor located on the throttle body.

If you use a throttle body cleaner or intake cleaner and don't plug the air ports that run down into the throttle body, All that carbon and crap runs down into the FAIV (fast idle air valve) and sticks on the wax thing and into the ISC and can screw this up pretty good.

Best thing to do is remove the throttle body , then remove the isc motor and clean it with wd-40.On my 1G I can acually pull the ISC motor apart and clean the internals too.

For the FIAV you can spray down in the ports with wd-40 and rinse them out a few times with more wd-40 then once you have the trottle body back on the car and the engine is cold, spray more wd-40 down into the ports. Then put the ISC back on and start the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts