DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is becoming an ongoing problem. Before my car would drive fine until fully warmed up and then run very very rich and choke itself(turn off). Then the problem gradually began to fix itself where i could drive the car with no problem, until now. The car starts up fine but idles low, and i get no signal to the A/F gauge. When im at WOT the a/f gauge stays fully lean until i build up about 10psi (feels like 2) and then the car stumbles and it feels like fuel cut. But if i drive normal the car moves fine except for the a/f gauge reading lean. And get this, the car wont fully warm up anymore, the temp needle leans left instead of straight up. Which is unusual because the temp gauge was fine before. Does anybody have any idea whats wrong with my car?

16g, mbc at 14, full 3inch, k&n, plugs wires...

·
Registered
634 Posts
If the car won't warm up anymore then I'd first flush the deposits out of the coolant system, then I would replace the Oxygen Sensor, and thermostat as well. That would be my first guess.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thermostat is fine, o2 sensor just replaced. Now if your running rich wont your EGT's be higher? SO if im running lean my EGT's are colder, correct? (don't have an EGT gauge) But the problem is finding out why my car runs lean, or whatever its doing. any help????

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
please someone help me out, could the ecu be causing this? When the car was taken to a dealership supposedly they swap'd ecu's and it didn't help so it shouldn't be that... as for taking it to a dealership when i got the car back after 3 weeks, all they could say is, "well since you have all that aftermarket stuff(16g) we can't figure out whats wrong with the car..."

I NEED some expert advice/help, this is my only means of transportation until my GSX is finish'd...

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
The leaner you run, the hotter your egts...
Dont ever take it to the damn dealer...

change thermostat at least and flush coolant thats cheap...
maybe your coolant temp sensor went, so when you start it up it already thinks its warm so the idle stays low and the car takes a long time to warm up.

I have no clue on the air/fuel(dont got one lol)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thanx for the reply but my big problem is the car running lean. What could be causing this? What happens when the TPS sensor goes? Anybody?

·
Registered
46 Posts
TPS goes out, CEL will be on, uh when coming to a stop your RPM's will drop sharply. This is my experince with other cars, never had one go bad on my dsm. Also check for intake leaks, and then take off you TB and give it a good cleaning with some parts cleaner and dont forget to clean the AIT sensor. The AIT was scewing everything up on my car for quite some time!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, what is the AIT sensor? Also I just went out and started up the car, and let it idle for about 8 min. Idled fine. Put the car in gear and went for a quick spin around the block. Pull'd back onto my street and push'd it(WOT) in 2nd gear, the boost gauge read 14psi but the car wasn't pulling at all, then the car jerked really hard and felt as if it fell out of gear(which it didn't) then started to pull again... WTF!!! Then i parked it and let it idle, it idle'd very low and the a/f gauge had no reading... PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I NEED HELP!!!

ok since nobody can give suggestions maybe someone can help me narrow it down...

#1 Since the car starts up and idles fine when I first start it, it shouldn't be the fuel injectors. Also just changed the fuel filter, and got the entire gas tank replaced along with a new factory fuel pump.

#2 New o2 sensor, plugs, and there are no visible vacuum leaks.

#3 Problem gradually started to happen, i was racing a friend and noticed that when i would put the pedal to the floor it wouldn't pull as hard but when i would let off a little bit it would pull strong. Now the car will build up boost but stumbles and will NOT pull.

!PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do belive you have a boost leak, I belive on vfaq.com they tell you how to make a contraption to test your intake side of things. Good luck

AIT- Air intake temp.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Even tho i PMed you on how i fixed my problem..

YES, get your car checked for leaks!!! I HAD LOTS!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
As i think about it it could be the AIT(or IAT) sensor. If it sees the air as being warmer than it actually is, it will not dump enough fuel, making you run lean, knock, and pulling timing big time. If it thinks the air is colder than it is, it will dump too much fuel(rich) and you will bog the shit out of your car.
Oh, and how are your plugs n wires?
Boost leaks??

·
Registered
59 Posts
i vote its a leak, the running lean and feeling now pull sounds like the problems of a real big leak. I spent 4$ making my leak tester, got the info from vfaq also definaltey test for leaks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the replys. As soon as mother nature decides to stop pissing on pittsburgh ill head outside and get to work. Quick question, where is the AIT located?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2g and its just inside the intake mani, I belive its the same for 1g's also take off all your uicp and throttle body and give the TB a good scrubing, make sure all the ports are not filled with carbon build up, set it some where to dry. Then look inside you intake mani you should see alittle indent and If you look out side of the mani you should see a hose coming off it take a used tooth brush and some parts cleaner and clean the sensor off. also check where your idle set screw is at, but any means just check for a boost leak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts