DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a 92 Talon TSI AWD.

Problem: About half of the time when I step on my clutch to let the car coast my RPM will drop so far that either the car shutters and revs back up to my 850 RPM idle or it will just shut off.

I have a new clutch, master and slave cylinders, all new vacuum lines new throttle body, new stepper motor all on the car trying to solve this problem and nothing so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
93_GSX said:
FIAV? TPS? There are a few sensors that effect idle. Run a search, you'll find some threads...
FIAV has been swapped and TPS was changed about a year ago so I am assuming it is still good.

I did more searching like you suggested and found a similar case where it was either the reed switch or speed sensor. I got a little confused as to which one it actually was in the post.

Does anyone know if these can be replaced on their own and where to get them? I tried calling my local dealership and they have no idea what I am talking about.

Thanks again,

Gary

·
Registered
632 Posts
Recirculate the BOV or make sure it is completely sealed if it is. Thats a classic symptom of un-recirc'd BOV.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Check the plug for the CAS over time the coating over the wires becomes hard and then crack off showing off the copper wires. Every time when the engine shake it would cut off all power.

That what happen in my case, And fiy if you ever go to the canyon with this problem you will be sh*ting bricks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stock BOV recirculated. Could it be an issue with the BOV being bad?

It is the fidanza lightened flywheel but I had this problem before I put that on.

This shoul dprobably be a new post in the newbie part but what is the "CAS"?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
70newport said:
Stock BOV recirculated. Could it be an issue with the BOV being bad?
It could, but not likely. Do a boost leak test, that will tell you if it is or not.

70newport said:
This should probably be a new post in the newbie part but what is the "CAS"?
CAS= Cam Angle Sensor
Its located on the pass side of the motor, where the rear (intake) cam would poke thru the back of the valve cover. At least I think its the rear side, maybe its the one close to the front of the car....either way, its on the side opposite of your cam gears, at right about the same level.

For a glossary of terms go to http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/ Somewhere there is a glossary of abbriviations, and its really helpful as there are TONS of them on DSMtalk.com

BoV
MAS
CAS
MBC
BISS
IRC
EGR
EVC
FCD
STD (oops, not that one...:p )

...just to name a few....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sometimes this symptom occurs when you have a bad ground somewhere. Also could possibly be a battery if you have went through all of the above. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
bobbo said:
Sometimes this symptom occurs when you have a bad ground somewhere. Also could possibly be a battery if you have went through all of the above. Just my .02.
This is probably not the case as the car starts and drives fine, just dies when the clutch is pressed.

It has to be something with the idle control or something around there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
93_GSX said:
This is probably not the case as the car starts and drives fine, just dies when the clutch is pressed.

It has to be something with the idle control or something around there.

It happened to my friends 240 when he put back in his engine this summer; he had went through everything and it came down to a bad battery. Also a guy I work with had a car that did this when he was a mechanic with Ford, and it was a ground that was connected to the engines aluminum head. Just giving advice from my own experience, but I do think that it something that was listed above.:dunno:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
93_GSX said:
It could, but not likely. Do a boost leak test, that will tell you if it is or not.

CAS= Cam Angle Sensor
Its located on the pass side of the motor, where the rear (intake) cam would poke thru the back of the valve cover. At least I think its the rear side, maybe its the one close to the front of the car....either way, its on the side opposite of your cam gears, at right about the same level.

For a glossary of terms go to http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/ Somewhere there is a glossary of abbriviations, and its really helpful as there are TONS of them on DSMtalk.com

BoV
MAS
CAS
MBC
BISS
IRC
EGR
EVC
FCD
STD (oops, not that one...:p )

...just to name a few....
thanks thats really helpfull. I have been searching for the last few days to try and find a test for the CAS and can not find one. Is there a way of testing this other than swapping it out?

Thanks for all the other suggestions. My battery is not even a year old and the actual terminal connections were replaced at teh same time.

Gary

·
Registered
540 Posts
My car does this too from time to time. Mine does it becuase my air filter sits right by my fan and when it comes on it bogs it down. its all about timing, putting in the clutch letting the motor rev down, and the fans coming on at just the right time, and bogging it down just enough to kill it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Mischif said:
My car does this too from time to time. Mine does it becuase my air filter sits right by my fan and when it comes on it bogs it down. its all about timing, putting in the clutch letting the motor rev down, and the fans coming on at just the right time, and bogging it down just enough to kill it.
This gentleman has brought up a really good idea. Our cars have extremely sensitive MAS setups, and anything that causes "weird" airflow through them can cause running/driving problems. Is there anything that you've done to the air filter? Hacked the can?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
93_GSX said:
This gentleman has brought up a really good idea. Our cars have extremely sensitive MAS setups, and anything that causes "weird" airflow through them can cause running/driving problems. Is there anything that you've done to the air filter? Hacked the can?
i have done nothing to the air filter. i have a new K&N filter waiting to go in as it has not been changed in almost a year but it is 100% stock as far as that goes.

Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 92 gsx. This might not be the right idea, but what is your idle at? My idle was lower than the suggested 750 or whatever, I think it was at 600-650 ish, and it did that a few times. This happened after I had some other issues fixed on it. So after it stalled a few times, I decided that I should turn the idle up a little bit, and it seems the have fixed the problem. Like I said it might not be the correct answer but it worked on mine, so maybe it will work on yours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nmsoccerdude26 said:
I had a similar problem with my 92 gsx. This might not be the right idea, but what is your idle at? My idle was lower than the suggested 750 or whatever, I think it was at 600-650 ish, and it did that a few times. This happened after I had some other issues fixed on it. So after it stalled a few times, I decided that I should turn the idle up a little bit, and it seems the have fixed the problem. Like I said it might not be the correct answer but it worked on mine, so maybe it will work on yours.
Thanks for the try but yeah my idle was at about 900 and I turned it up to around 1100 and it seemed to help a little but not much at all. But this leads me to my newest symptom to possibly help diagnose it. Over the last couple days with the cold weather it had been better for short trips. but today after driving for about 35 minutes it all of a sudden shuts off.... Maybe have something to do with a temp sensor? I really have no idea just it seems better when the engine is cooler.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I am really thinking it has something to do with the temperature of the car seeing as i went on another hour long drive today and for the first 25-30 minutes it did not do it once....Any suggestions now?

Also if I am going to replace the speed "switch/sensor" am I assuming correctly in that I need to replace my hole cluster?

thanks,

Gary

1 - 20 of 30 Posts