DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, since the cars engine was rebuilt, when id go to the track the dipstick would blow, out. i tightened it and it stopped. i ran the other night on the highway and my boost shot up to 20 psi (i thought it was a weird spike), but it stayed they too. i let off immediatedly and finished racing at half or 3/4 throttle to hold it at 15psi. my egts never went past 1550 but when i stopped at my friends house, i had blown out oil all under the hood and my lifters were tickin bad. so i added oil and left for home 5 mins away. when i got home the ticking was gone and i checked for any smoking and there was none. the next day i drive the car and it smokes. i think its white but it could be blue, its real hard to tell. it also seems to smoke out the oil cap and dipstick too but its real cold so it could be heat. now anytime i drive it boost or not it shoots ou the dipstick and maybe the oilcap too. it smokes constantly and it looks like my catch can has milky oil spewing from it which would mean my hg.
ok the compression test. the 2nd # is after adding a teaspoon of oil:
58-65
125-135
130-138

any help would be appreciated. and is it real bad to drive it this way???
thanx
luigi

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any clue guys??? i need this fixed and i drive 40 mins to school everyday. im scared to drive it........

·
Registered
634 Posts
You *can* drive the car, but with running compression like that- I'd do or get a leakdown test done ASAP so you know where the problem is. Sounds to me like a valve issue.

I do feel for ya man, I had my car sitting for about two weeks w/ out starting it once, while I was changing the differential fluid and getting the car registered, etc. Last night I start the car up and it's puffin some smoke :( I drove that car about 25 miles last night, and about 20 miles today (used a half tank of gas) and taking it up and down the RPM's (never went past 5500 though). Tonight when I put my car in the garage it was still slightly smoking but very slightly (it's also 30 degrees where I live right now and was snowing last night so it might just be amplified by the cold air). All in all, I'm buying a spark plug gapping tool and a compression tester and will find out next week if A) it's time to do some serious work to the block or B) I can safely mod the car and not worry about internals yet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think its the head gasket but im blowing what my dad says is "blue" smoke. would a hg make you burn oil. and i definately have coolant in my oil. how would valves do all this. especially knowing its not any of the valve seals because they are all brand new.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, from what i read on vfaq on hg's and on here it seems thats what my prob is. rings and valve seals wont mix oil and coolant. not to mention the wet test didnt show significant increases in pressure, leading me to believe its my hg. now, whats a good price on a hg replacement. and can i do it without having to retime my timing belt by say, marking the belt and cams prior to removal and removing only the top of the belt by loosening the idler pulley and the keeping the belt tight up top. if not this may cost me a pretty penny im thinkin.
thanx
luigi

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah it will definately cost quite a bit from what is involved. I do not know if partially removing the timing belt is good for its longevity (using the same belt again). :confused: I can't answer that... but... maybe the blue smoke was just excess burning oil from that first problem (at your friends house).

Try the car tomorrow and see if it smokes less. That's what I'd do anyway.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, the belt is less than a month old. this engine was just rebuilt fully and the only stupid thing they did was use a felpro hg. dumbasses. they assured me the tbelt is factory along with the intake manifold and a few others. the only other non factory gasket they used was a felpro exhaust mani gasket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have seen some people on other cars zip tie the tbelt to the cam gears and pull the gears off the shafts. Problem with doing this on a talon is that they use hydraulic belt tensioners which may screw it up. Not really sure. I have talked to a mechaninc about doing this and he didn't recomend it.

·
Banned
322 Posts
import_power22 said:
I have seen some people on other cars zip tie the tbelt to the cam gears and pull the gears off the shafts. Problem with doing this on a talon is that they use hydraulic belt tensioners which may screw it up. Not really sure. I have talked to a mechaninc about doing this and he didn't recomend it.
Do not do that on our cars. You will loose all tension in your belt as well as stretch it and end up skipping teeth. Take off the timing cover, use the special tool and re-compress the tensioner and stick an allen wrench in it, then I would say it could be safe to do the zip-tie thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts