DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i posted this on dsmtuners also, but i figured id put it on here too juss to help anyone who might have the same problem i did. Basically i am blowin a crap load of white smoke out the muffler, thought i had prolly blown the head gasket until sumone told me to quick check the turbo out b4 goin and swapping head gaskets. well i took off the inlet and tried to spin the compressor wheel and it wasn't spinning nicely at all, i then turned on the car and looked at the wheel, and it wasn't spinning at all. So we took out the turbo and opened her up and to our suprise, found out that the lil shaft connecting both the comp. wheel and exh.turbine had broke, and the exh. turbine was nowhere to be found. it musta busted off and made these deep gashes in the wall of the exh. housing, then they musta shattered and im guessin are sumwhere in the muffler or sumthin. So guess im juss sayin check out the turbo as another reason that you are blowin white smoke, not just head gasket. here's some pics.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Nice pictures! Really nice garage floor carpet!

·
Registered
634 Posts
When looking at my turbo- it looks like it puked sludge out of the exhaust manifold side. After reading this I might just inspect my turbo system... what am I saying?!? I WILL inspect my turbo system!

=== I also think my stupid blow off valve isn't holding pressure very well either ===

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh that aint garage carpeting, that's my friends room where we took the turbo apart just after taking it off. sh!t i don't even have a garage, i live on a marine base and she juss sits in the parking lot. but we do have a nice shop with lifts and all the tools one could dream of!!!!!

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Glad you figured it out w/o ripping the motor apart. Same thing happened to the T25 on a friend's GF's car (95 GSX). Shaft broke, and she did the James Bond impression on the freeway. Turbine wheel and the broken shaft were still in there though, it hadn't gone to never-neverland yet...

I'm betting your smoke was blue-ish. Broken shaft means a gigantic oil leak. White smoke is coolant... slight blue haze to it means oil...

·
Registered
634 Posts
James92TSi said:
Glad you figured it out w/o ripping the motor apart. Same thing happened to the T25 on a friend's GF's car (95 GSX). Shaft broke, and she did the James Bond impression on the freeway. Turbine wheel and the broken shaft were still in there though, it hadn't gone to never-neverland yet...

I'm betting your smoke was blue-ish. Broken shaft means a gigantic oil leak. White smoke is coolant... slight blue haze to it means oil...
This may be a stupid question but when would the best time/ conditions be to view the smoke?

Reason why I'm asking is because when my car smokes if you look more towards the muffler it's whitish... but if you look at the smoke as it passes my outside light... it's got more of a darker color- like bluish tint to it. So I dunno what to go by :confused:

I'm going to inspect my 14b when I go home today- are there any torque specs for the bolts holding that thing on? If so what are they?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i wish i could look at the smoke again cuz it seemed pretty white, i dunno, we are considering that i might still have a blown head gasket also maybe, we hope not but we aren't counting it out. coulda killed two birds at once u know. anywho we had already bought the gasket so if that's blown too then im ready to replace it. oh and by the way, i guess the pics don't work no more. I uploaded em on my DSMTuners profile so i could post em up on the forums so maybe it would HELP people so they could see, but i guess the moderator of the profiles don't give a sh!t so he deleted them. whatever, i dunno who pissed in his cheerios

1 - 7 of 7 Posts