DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 eclipse GS-T and after replacing the ignition coil pack the car would start for couple of seconds then just die it will stay on if I rev it (fuel pump issue?) but if I keep it at idle it will just plain die. I have a video of the problem I am having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN6LUk7-Hok

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can someone help me please? :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Man in the video it sounds like your valves are smacking your pistons, check your timing. Also mess with your cam position sensor. That fixed my 92, I had the same problem as you did.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Man, that sounds hideous... did you do anything else besides the coil pack? Also, was it running ok before the coil pack issue?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I checked my timings they line up perfect. I replaced the ECU since that got fried but my friend said there is something near the ecu golden box that I could probably check but this was before I replaced my ignition coil pack and got the car running. when I first bought the car that is how it sounded but the car stayed on didn't die on me and I took it for a test drive before I bought it and when I pushed the gas pedal it didn't move any faster. When I was at a stop light the car almost died but it didn't. I did a compression test they were all under 120 except cylinder 1 was at 160 could it be a head gasket? My friend believes it is a piston issue like cracked piston. But the woman that has had it only took it to work and back to keep the miles off of her car. I don't think she abused the car. People say on my other video of my car running when I first got it said it sounds like a lifter. I checked me oil and found no metal shavings in it.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Where are you located in KS? I could always swing by and lend a hand.

That sounds terrible.

1. Are you 100% sure you hooked it back up correctly?

2. Did you place the wires on in the correct order?

3. Did you remove the spark plugs at all?

4. Have you completed a compression test?

5. If you put the "old" coil pack back in does it run fine?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I need to update my profile I'm on the missouri side in KC area the old one had burned holes on it and the metal down the coil (where the wires hook into) were also burned and 4 and 3 if I remember correctly

@1gawd4g63: I don't live in columbia I do remember you helping me just this time I got it running but won't stay on.

1. Are you 100% sure you hooked it back up correctly? Yes went over everything for 10 minutes just to make sure.

2. Did you place the wires on in the correct order? Yes I had them labeled also.

3. Did you remove the spark plugs at all? I did and also had them labeled on which cylinder they were in.

4. Have you completed a compression test? Yes I may do a leak down test.

5. If you put the "old" coil pack back in does it run fine? No its burned.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Apart from the hideous noise, check all of your air delivery components. It sounds like it may be getting choked out, poss. IAC.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean by IAC?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Idle Air Control, or in DSM lingo ISC Idle Speed Control

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PROZIUM451 said:
Idle Air Control, or in DSM lingo ISC Idle Speed Control
Isn't that the thing on the left of the valve cover you turn until the idle is smooth?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there a picture of it so I know what I am exactly looking for? Right now I don't have access to the car.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was watching a video on you tube of a guy with similar problem and he said it was transistor. Where is the transistor located?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There was a recent thread on that. Try the search button.

But holy crap dude, that car needs some serious TLC!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Your Transistor is located below the coils. it's long and skinny. If you follow the wires from the coil to the harness it y's off follow that wire. There's your transistor.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
93_GSX said:
There was a recent thread on that. Try the search button.

But holy crap dude, that car needs some serious TLC!
TLC? I'm new to the DSM lingo.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hahaha tlc isn't dsm lingo..well accually it should be since most need it.
T-ender L-oving C-are

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh ok I did not know. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts