DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you 2g guys using a carbon fibre hood? I am looking for pics and am wondering how much lighter they are than the stocker. I am also wondering if they have a wavy finish in the clearcoat like some I have seen or if the good ones are nice and smooth.

------------------
1995 Talon TSI fwd

·
Registered
20 Posts
Extreme has a pic on their site..hope this helps..http://www.extrememotorsports.com/g2cat/body.htm#hood :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
This past weekend at a car show at Sunrise Mitsubishi, I saw two cars that had Carbon Fibre hoods. They looked great. I've posted pictures in the Events and Get Togethers forum. The Black 97 has the Carbon hood.

The guy that owns that car sells the hoods. The price he quoted me was around $600. The name of the shop is Eastcoast Motorsports. The phone number is 631-736-3852.

I am in no way affiliated with this shop. I don't even remember the guys name, but the hoods did look nice. I think he said they were 8 lbs. Email me if you want me to send you higher resolution pictures.

------------------
95GSX

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I am going to be shopping for a cf hood in a few weeks and I want to shop around a bit first. I am going to check the pics now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
are there any places online besides extreme that have carbon fiber hoods?

------------------
Jon
97 GST
Thermal Research 3"cat back, Extreme DIS filter

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told recently to try a place called Sunny Styling or something like that but haven't found an address for them yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if your figuring HP/LB of a car... a carbon hood would seem like a really useless purchase for the $$$. What's the reasoning?

------------------
97 Black GS-T

·
Registered
35 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason D:
if your figuring HP/LB of a car... a carbon hood would seem like a really useless purchase for the $$$. What's the reasoning?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

me personally i like it for the looks and its lighter than a stock hood, and if i did buy a CF hood id have some kind of hood scoop molded in.

Jason what part of Ma you from?

------------------
Jon
97 GST

·
Registered
35 Posts
this is going to be my first winter with my car so it should be fun

------------------
Jon
97 GST

·
Registered
62 Posts
Auburn area. I commute on the pike into Boston each day.. Moving closer soon. moved here from Florida 8 months ago. Turbo's probably gonna suck (both ways) in the snow.

------------------
97 Black GS-T

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally I am more interested in the hood for its looks rather than for its weight savings. But hey, every little bit of weight savings helps! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd guess-tamate about 35-40lbs for a stock hood. I've helped friends take theirs on and off before and it's not that heavy but being as big as it is it is rather cumbersome(sp?). You probably save a good 20-25lbs by going with a carbon fiber or fiberglass hood. Not that that is a large amount of weight but it's not exactly a small amount either.

Personally I have a black car and think a carbon fiber hood, left with the carbon fiber crosshatch showing, would look pretty kick a$$ on my car.

Just my .02

------------------
Jerry
11.98 @ 113
best mph of 115.99
My Ride

·
Registered
436 Posts
The stock hood weighs 44lbs. A good carbon fiber hood can weigh between 8 and 15lbs. That is a pretty substantial weight savings, especially if you combine it with fiberglass 1/4 panels. Supposedly every 100lbs is a 10th of a second. So make your own judgements as to if the weight loss is worth it or not. I am personally all about it. I would strip my car if I didn't have to drive it everywhere.

Anyway, here is another link for hoods, this guy also offers them in colors.
http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=66219&messageid=966206849

------------------
1995 GS-T
Perfection Thru Speed

·
Registered
116 Posts
I never realized they made CF hoods totally black too.

I must be the only person who thinks the CF look is ugly as ****.
those CF dash kits RUIN the interior IMO. SO damned ugly. CF shift knobs too.

·
Registered
921 Posts
haha

I had to read this post as it was very long as wanted to be sure we are still on topic. Very good every body we only went off track once
=0)

I have to agree 100% with GST-97 I hate the look also =-) but hey everyone has there opinion. Now if it's a super car and the whole inside and out side is like that I think I could live with it =-) As long as I am not the one paying

1 - 20 of 27 Posts