DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing my apex-i downpipe (which eliminates the cat.) and when i take the stock downpipe off what do I do about the cat. converter ground wire, do i take that off too or do i ground it to somthing else?

·
Registered
606 Posts
It needs to be reconnected to the pipe. That is how your o2 sensor gets it's ground. Without it, you'll probably get horrible gas mileage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ohhh, can it be grounded onto anything or does it have to be on the downpipe. there is no bracket on the downpipe for it to be attached onto. would i have to weld it on???

·
Registered
668 Posts
All i did is went to the local autoparts store and bought a 3'' exhaust clamp. i clamped the wire onto the downpipe.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Do the 1gs have this too? I know there is a steel wire/shoelace type thing that is connected to the downpipe in front of the catalytic converter. I'm not sure if mine is connected.... and I now have a check engine light and an a/f gauge that reads the last green RICH LED.

·
Elite DSMtalker
334 Posts
I didnt connect mine and my mileage is fine, if not better, with the straight through stuff on. I have developed a CEL, but I doubt thats related to the grounding wires. I dont want to weld that shit on my SS pipe, but putting it on the clamp souds like a good idea.

·
Registered
668 Posts
yes 1g's have this wire to... mine is a 92, and i just did it to mine with the clamp, so i will post to see if my mileage actually goes up.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Is it a ground for the 02 sesnor? That would explain the constantly full rich A/F gauge. I think when I took my car in to have the head rebuilt they cut it off..... cuz it doesn't dangle anymore but it's not grounded anywhere. I'll have to double check, but I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
yes it is a ground for the o2 sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts