DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the future, I will probably want to upgrade my Cat. I know that I will get a performance gain, but will I still be able to pass emissions? By the way, I have a 97 eclipse.

[This message has been edited by Quest (edited August 16, 2000).]

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I know that I will get a performance gain, but will I still be able to pass emissions? By the way, I have a 97 eclipse.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you are replacing it with a new cat, sure, no problem. If you fail, it wont be the cat's fault. Don't know if your car is turbo or not, if yes, the cat is a nice upgrade, but not as good as running without one and putting the cat back in come inspection time (but I DO NOT condone that practice). :)

If it is not turbo, I am not sure, but playing with more than the cat-back may be futile and even anti-productive, depending on other mods.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nah, skip the cat and just run one solid, mandrel bent 2-3/4" pipe from the downpipe to the hi-flo muffler in the rear. Granted, you'll have to move to a non-emissions testing county / state, but hey...

Speaking of which, they didn't have emissions in Orlando when I lived there a two years ago. Have they been instated since then?

------------------
* John G. Gauthier
* www.DarkLightning.com
* [email protected]
* 1991 Talon TSi AWD

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno if Orlando has Emissions. I live in Jacksonville and know for SURE that Jacksonville Requires emissions. I plan to install a Cat-back, but probably won't mess with the Cat. I don't have a turbo so messing with the cat won't do me any good.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I live in Charleston SC and we dont have emissions or vehicle inspections at all. got rid of them about 6 or so years ago. i plan on putting either a 2.5 or 3" dp and test pipe to my hks3"cat back.. for track use anyways . o O (wont be my fault if my jack fails after the install will it?) and i guess i should find a track too huh..

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
What? No vehicle inspections at all? Damn, how's the employment market down there? I'll consider moving there. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts