DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a catch can to stop the oil from going into my intercooler. So far I have really only seen the one made by RRE. Is there any others? Or does anyone know an easy way to make one? Any info would be great!

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Goto Jegs.com. Goto the catalog and look under radiator and coolent stuff. Summit racing also has alot of catch cans. I use that $14 one from Jegs. I drilled some holes in it and put some fittings on it...it works great. I use to use a small plastic milk bottle before that. Good luck

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just used one of the Puralator fuel filters (I think part# 805). I just cut the tubing and put the filter in between. So far no problems. The filter that I bought is encased in glass so you can see the filter. You'll know if the filter gets dirty. It looks cool under the hood too. I actually got this mod from Mospeed ( I think thats him - also a local DSMtalker). It worked great for me. And it only cost me $9. If any of you know if this is going to cause a problem, please let me know!! Hope this helps.

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
112 Posts
That purolator fuel filter isn't all that great. The filter allows the blowby oil to get sucked back into the motor and makes mess inside. More carbon build up???????

Jeff

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you check out RRE's website under new stuff, they have the new Polished GReddy Catch Can. It looks pretty nice, but the only down side is that it runs about $100...

~John Tran
aka Tranman
'98 Eclipse "GS"X

·
Registered
205 Posts
Chosun,

I didn't know that! Thanks! I'll have to look into that...

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
100 Posts
[BLOCKQUOTE]quote:[HR]Originally posted by Jason:
Goto Jegs.com. Goto the catalog and look under radiator and coolent stuff. Summit racing also has alot of catch cans. I use that $14 one from Jegs. I drilled some holes in it and put some fittings on it...it works great. I use to use a small plastic milk bottle before that. Good luck<HR][/BLOCKQUOTE]

Is there an air filter on this catch can? If not, will you end up sucking back unfiltered air into the crankcase? I assume a filter is desirable since we normally put the little K&N crankcase filter on instead of just disconnecting the hose...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Okay. I'm starting to understand. How much of a mess does it make when using the little K&N filter? I've used that purolator for about a week now and the filter inside still looks clean! If the K&N doesn't make too much of a mess, I'll probably go to that instead.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I beleive the amount of mess it makes is directly related to the health of your engine. If your car has low miles, great compression, and no oil blowby, the small K&N filter works great. If your car has 150,000 miles and is marginal, plan on washing your engine compartment every other week. :p

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to Jegs.com, and under the coolant section, they have a JAZ mini catch can...for go karts. It has an inlet, outlet, drain valve, and what appears to be a K&N filter on top for ventilation. It also comes with a mounting bracket. When all was said and done, it is about $52 with shipping. I actually saw a Toyota Supra site that used the same can.

Looks like it should be small enough to mount between the BOV and the engine if I used a BOV bolt, maybe just install a bigger one. I will let you know how it goes.

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a picture of the can I ordered, I think it should look pretty good.

Hope it works, and I can give part numbers to anyone who wants one.

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

[This message has been edited by FastFWD (edited September 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have that JAZ mini breather tank on my car and it works great! I originally purchased the Summit 1 qt. breather tank but thought that it was to big for the engine bay, so I went ahead and bought the JAZ mini. It's 1 pt. and fits nicely under the air filter in my 1G. I bolted it to the plastic splash gaurd in the wheel well. Here is a good VFAQ for the install: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/catchcan.html

------------------
Craig H
92 Laser AWD

·
Registered
205 Posts
FASTFWD,

That looks pretty cool, almost similar to RREs version. Can you get me the part number, price, and where you got it from? Thanks man!

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here ya go:
Item #547-605-325-01
Jaz Mini Breather Tank : Oil Catch Tank

total, with shipping was $51.98

Go to www.jegs.com type in the part number in the search box on the left hand side of the screen. That will take ya there.

The reason I did not get RRE's was that just from reading their site, it's kind of a pain to deal with them, and they wouldn't answer their phone. They want you to submit a form online with your credit card number, and it seemed like an unsecure site. I also needed the item shipped to a location other than my billing address, and RRE's webpage says they will not do that with first time buyers.

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks dude! Regarding RRE..I know what you mean. But I haven't seen anyone beat their prices yet. The best time to call is right after 12pm (PST).

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree about RRE on their bigger items. I just didn't think it was worth it for a little catch can. They seem to have good prices on things like front mount intercoolers.

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
112 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mospeed:
http://pages.tca.net/delsol/ed/engine.html

$10, been +month and filter brown and oil in the casing!

ed

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I tried that exact same filter, but i poured in oil before the install to see if it will hold (a teaspoon??) and it did hold it in the filter. So I installed that fuel filter and later the oil got sucked back in and there is absolutely no inside the glass casing.

When you boost, there is oil blow by meaning oil in the filter.When you decelerate or just cruise, your motor has vacuum meaning the oil gets sucked back in from that filter, and all of the fuel filter mods don't have any features against this. (the catchcans will keep oil in the can even w/ vacuum).

Get the catchcan. You don't have carbon build up as fast as the fuel filter mods.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok maybe someone can explain why sucking oil back into the motor is a bad thing??? I can't think of a reason why it will really matter?

frisco

·
Registered
112 Posts
Carbon from the combustion and oil will combine and stick....build up (on valves, piston, piston rings).

So people do the MCCC cleaning to get rid of these build ups since they affect performance...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts