DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the center console? I want to install a B&M short shifter but I can't find the screws or tabs to remove them. I don't want to pull to hard - don't want to break the tabs or console. Thanks! BTW, just got my Greddy IC piping kit! Man..can wait to install it!

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
14 Posts
Their is two screws behind the front seats close to the floor on the side of the console. Their is also two screws under the cup holder. Then take off the shifter handle and the trim piece around the stereo and you should see the other two screws then just lift it out and disconect the wires underneath.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know..I've tried to take off that trim piece around the stereo but it won't fu**** come off! And I'm scared that I might break that thing. Is there an easy way to take it off? Even that trim around the vents above the stereo is a bit** to come off!! Arghhh!!

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey ray don't you still have the chiltons book ? Or did I loose it! It's probably not even in that book. Hey don't worry man, I've got a big crowbar I'll get that cover off for you!!!

------------------
Randy on the spot
99 GS-T

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sup Randy! yeah...I've been trying to figure out a way to get that console off. When I was doing my interior, I had most of them off except that center console. I couldn't get it off! BTW, your book doesn't mention how to take it off (damn! I still have it huh? sorry man!) Anyway, I guess eventually I'll figure it out. Hey..go check out the other post about "Catch Can". Tell me what you think.

P.S. We still on for Hooters tonight? Let me know!! I think Ron wants to go too..

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST

·
Registered
48 Posts
hey have you figured it out yet? if not its real easy... the trim piece around the radio and the air vents is all one piece, so get a really small flathead screwdriver and pry at the top corner above the a/c controls. carefully pull the whole top edge away and then separate the 2 push-in clips in middle of the sides. once those are free tilt it out. once you've got that off, it gets really easy. there are 2 screws behind that (don't drop 'em). then pull out the whole cupholder/ashtray piece. you can see a seam around it where it pulls out. then there's 2 screws in there. remove the shift knob and then there's 2 more screws at the bottom of the back part of the console (slide up your seats) then just pull it out w/o hitting the airbag ecu underneath. :D

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I installed my extreme short shift kit without even removing the center console. I would only imagine that the B&M installs the same way. I only had to remove the side cover to the center console (in the drivers foot well). May save you some time. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
spltscnd98gst,

I've been thinking of getting one soon. Someone on the digest said to check out www.machv.com and get their shifter kit and put in during installation of the B&M. Have you heard anything else about this shifter?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you talking about the shifter kit or short shifter at MachV?I've heard good things about it (B&M short shifter). RRE highly recommended it to me when I was shopping for my IC piping. Plus, I've seen B&M in the industry for awhile. What I like about it is the easy install. Honestly though, I don't know what other short shifters there are or how simple to install but I've pretty much made my decision on the B&M. I trust RRE alot more than anyone else, plus their prices are very good compared to MachV. MachV's prices are a little too high (Tokico Illuminas at RRE is MUCH CHEAPER then MachVs). I think Jegs has it cheaper though ($10 less I think).

As far as the shifter kit, I've seen it before but I don't know much about it. The testimonies on Symborski's website are impressive though. I think I will order a set (its only $35 I think). I'll post it on the Parts Review board after the installation and testing.

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST

[This message has been edited by spltscnd98gst (edited September 26, 2000).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts