DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am changing the tranny fluid on my 90 talon tsi fwd. i found the fill plug and loosened it. does the 24mm drain plug have a thin bolt head? i think i see it but i'm not entirely sure. it's near the base of the tranny right? i know it's on the side. also, would you recommend me ordering the bg synchroshift tranny fluid and waiting, or go with valvoline semi synthetic mixed with one quart of lucas heavy duty oil stablilizer? someone said this works well. thanksguys.

kevin v.
90 talon tsi fwd

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
when i blew my first tranny (shift fork) i got a used 90 tranny w/ 140k on it, it had like all kinds of nasty goop in it from sitting around, anyways, i put regular tranny fluid in and then drained it and then filled it again....the thing shifted like crap, very clunky....i then put in my BG synchroshift, after a few miles, shifted muuuuuch better, still not perfect (as its a mitsu tranny) but still much better

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
shouldnt have gotten a used 90 tranny, worst dsm tranny =p. althogh mine still shifts very nicely no grinds.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hope that Drain Bolt comes off easily, yeah its the big thin one and it is causing me MUCH grief, read my other post "Tranny Drain Bolt..."

·
Registered
365 Posts
Can somebody elaborate more on adding oil stabilizer to tranny fluid; I haven't heard of it before but is about to try it myself after I found that the stuff does charms for resizing rifle cases for reloading. I 've tried multiple things for resizing big magnum cases and Isotech brand oil stabilizer (from .99 cent store) outperfoms all of them BY FAR. The stuff is so slippery that there is almost no resistanse at the press handle (if smb. is familiar with reloading) but before I managed to break the corner of the table where the press is mounted off:eek:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Here's a pic of the Drain Plug

As for what tranny fluid to use. I am using SyncrhoMax by Royal Purple. I just ordered 3 quarts of it about 10 min ago. I talked to a guy from the company and he told me that it's made differently than other oils for transmissions and he said it will not be a threat to my notchy syncrhos. I'll see how it works and post about it in a week or two. I don't if the SyncrhoMax will do what it's supposed to... but I know first hand by experience, that their engine oil works great and I've stuck with it since last year.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amazing tranny fluid...

Well, I filled my tranny two days ago and all had been well since. I've heard use this and use that, but I finally made my mind to get GM synchromesh since it's easy to find here in Gainesville. I put in about 2.2 qts cause that's what it allowed before the fluid just started creeping into the fill hole through the hose. I know one of the reasons why the car shifts so well is partly due to this fluid, but mainly to the fact that the guy (actually his wife) who drove it really babied it. The tranny feels great and so does the stock clutch of 118K. But I would definately recommend this tranny fluid as I did notice somewhat of a difference. Oh, and when I did drain the old tranny fluid (about 10K old), it was clean as can be! Thanks guys.

Kevin V.
Gainesville, FL
'90 Talon TSi FWD

·
Registered
365 Posts
Cheap? I just paid a visit to my local GM dealer and they wanted $12.75 for a quart:eek: Also, it didn't say that it was synthetic and we all know about its superiority so what would you say on that? And, somebody, please cheap in on using engine oil stabilizer in our trannies as an additive to tranny fluid as was mentioned above; the idea is stuck in my head for good or not.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Lucas oil stabilizer!!!??? have you tried it?

Have anybody here actually tried the lucas oil with the durablend valvoline?? I was thinking about doing that exact same thing too!!!! Anybody???

·
Registered
365 Posts
I changed my tranny fluid again after a few days (got scared after read in vfac to not use GL-5). This time I put two quarts of MTL and the rest was some really thick oil stabilizer 'smoke stop' or smth. Well, I can say I like it more than all that I had before which was Motul 300 75W-90 and some old (bought the car with that) BG synchroshift; can shift reallly quick now without unwanted noises.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have always used gm synchromesh in my trannies. It works awesome compared to anything else ive used, much better for the synchros. That's my opinion. Also about it being expensive..just tell them you work at a shop in town or somethin, you should be able to get it cheaper. I can get it for just over $7 a quart.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lucas oil stabilizer

I just changed my 1g tranny fluid with GM Synchromesh and added about 1/3 quart of the Lucas oil stabilizer. All I can say is it wouldn't shift worth a damn before, now it shifts so well that without a doubt I know I have to adjust my side-to-side cable because I have problems with 5/reverse. I just bought this car after it had sat for about 2 years, and the tranny feels as good as my 2nd gen tranny before the GM fluid.

I think the thicker addative is good for older trannies - helps out the synchros, but it does slow the shift just a hair. I have a set of bad synchros in my 2nd gen GSX, so I went on the "help out the synchro's" kick cause man is a good rebuild expensive. I can live with loosing a tenth of a second per shift, I just can't afford to send another tranny to TRE...

·
Registered
634 Posts
oops...

After changing all my driveline fluids I can safely say that- that picture was the transfer case (why I thought it was the tranny is beyond me... I must have been tired as usual).

The bolt for the tranny drain is a flat 24mm bolt to the lower left of the transmission. Basically... look at your passenger side fog light- now follow that path of vision to the transmission and look for the bolt on the lower left that fits a 24mm socket. There ya go... all set.

My tranny fluid stunk... whatever the owner before me put in there really sucked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts