DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving today, made a long pull through 1st at high RMP and then my car started jerking like my TPS wasnt working. So I grab the logger while I'm driving and it says no codes even right after the check engine light has just come on. There was a reading from the pocket logger at one acceleration that the logger read - or nothing for RPM, INJD,KNCK,MAFS,and ACLE all at the same time for a second and then it returns to normal. Anyone know whats going on? This happened repeatedly and then seemed to go away after I shut the car off for a while. It's a 1g FWD TSI.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't believe in 4 days not one person had an idea for me. This happend after I was accelerating up to 3rd gear very fast. It kept happening periodically until I got to where I was going, 15min. Then I turned the car off and it hasent happened since.
Can Anyone give me any idea as to why my car would jerk, the check engine light would come on but not throw a code and give me no reading for a split second for several key functions of the car? it hasent happend since but something has to be wrong.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well..It could indeed be the ECU.Its curious that there is no error code.Ive seen strange things happen,and after all the "armchair troulbelshooting",it ultimately was the computer.
If you have someone in mind that has an identical car,borrow theirs,and see if your issue still exists.Otherwise if you have exhausted all the obvious possibilities,just get a reman unit.It wont be cheap,but will eliminate the possible root cause of your problem.:tat:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Something like that could be a bad ecu, or even something simple like a bad/loose ground strap. Since it affects all your sensors, I would pull out a wiring diagram and check the ground and power for your ecu and you primary ground and power straps to the battery. If you put something like and s-afc then make sure that the joints and insulation are good and the power wire isn't grounding out on something.

P.S. also if your battery isn't tied down well enough and you don't have the rubber covers for your terminals then it could be grounding out on your hood.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The battery isint tied down, do you think that if it hit the hood once that the car would be messed until I shut it off? I'm not sure if I can recreate this problem, i've been driving it for 4 days now and it hasent happened since. I can save my pocket logger file somewhere if someone would look at it for me and tell me if they see anything.

When the check engine light comes on I thought it always gave a code, so when it diden't give a code I started thinking ecu. I've never looked at the ecu to check the caps or even to see if it's and eprom ecu. People replace caps to fix ecu's right? I don't know what a cap is, I have read about them.

And I wish I had someone to teach me how to read a wiring diagram, I have no idea how to do it.

And the terminals are clean, no corrosion

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Check the other end of the cables as well, not just the terminals at the batt. Checking the ECU isn't difficult, you look for burnt electronics and such. There are threads here, if you search for them, they WILL help.

What do you use to tune with? Sometimes piggyback tuners can have loose connections with the ecu wires, and that will throw CEL lights without necessarily throwing a code. It would also cause your car to temporarily run like crap.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately everything is stock, I've been fixing the car before I start upping the HP, gonna get dsm link when I find someone who has it for a good price. I should check to see if the ecu has been socketed. I read one guy had goo on his board but yea I will check it out. Anyone know someone who sockets eprom and replaces caps?I will preobably find the answer searching like I should.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,899 Posts
If the ECU is original then this wouldn't surprise me.
If the ECU is resetting that you'll see the CEL for 5 seconds and then it will turn off just like when you first turn the ignition on. If you see the CEL turn on and you can't talk to the ECU then it's not really running. Both are good indications you need to have the ECU reworked.

You can click on my username and go to my homepage for repairs.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
excellent, I will get the ecu looked at if the problem continues. I might have figured it out, my thermostat gasket was leaking and since the wires for the temp sensor were cut and put together with a barrel conector, I think coolant got on the lines and might be causing this. I'm gonna get a new gasket, sodder and put shrink over the sodder and drive it for a while to see if it happens again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.