DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
16,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. I am working on cleaning my spare transmission, transfercase etc and as soon as the engine and trans come out of the car, they are getting cleaned as well. So far I have found that Simple Green MAX to be the shit when it comes to cleaning parts. Even brake cleaner to help some since it leaves no film.

As for tools, this is what I have been using, I picked up the yellow one from work but I need to find something good for getting those really hard to get spots besides a tooth brush. Anyone got any recommendations?

The transfer case has 184,000 miles on it. It looked like it was rhino coated black when I started on it, after 25-30 minutes, heres how it looks now, without the fine touches.

And the tools, the big blue one is all I have used on it so far. I have a gallon of SG MAX to use.

· Registered
837 Posts
Try a little Gunk Foamy Engine Brite, or the Gunk Citrus on those hard to reach places. The foamy will actually pull the stuff out of the holes, and a quick trip to the local car wash blasts the rest out of the hard to reach places.

Think Sonicare for your engine :D

Billy

· Honorary Moderator
8,247 Posts
Irrational said:
I take all my shit to the local wash your own car place. Pull Trans out of the trunk lay it on the cement and foam it with engine bright scrub it then rinse.

haha, I loaded up my buddy's S10 and we drove it down to the car wash and foamed 3 trannys, 4 xfer cases and then power washed the hell out of them, worked great, I just made sure to flush the tranny's with gear oil before re-installation. And they've all worked fine since.

shortykidd80 said:
if u take it to the car wash wont you risk shorting a wire or 2 or 3 or harness?????
You cant short any thing when there's no power hooked up to it. Besides you don't really blast any wiring harnesses just a couple sensors when doing a tranny, and xfer cases and other misc parts like that have no electrical stuff on them. You can power wash your engine bay at the car was so why not some spare parts :)

· Registered
9 Posts
Have you tried a new cleaning? The steam is said to be very safe as it leaves only 5% of the water on the surface but it does an excellent job of disinfecting and steaming parts. Here is the article https://www.fortador-usa.com/blog/h...est-method-to-remove-tree-sap-from-car-paint- and-windows for what is car steam clean and lots of good advice from the steam cleaner experts. By the way, I am very pleased with the savings that I feel when using a steam cleaner to work with the interior of a car and the fabrics do not need to dry for a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts