DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, well I just got my ACT Clutch put in last Friday (its a 2100 I think)and Ive been breaking it in since. I havnt floored the pedal yet, but I have pushed it a little...maybe running CLOSE to redline...i havnt ran it to redline yet though. I just maybe 3/4 throttle the pedal in second and let the turbo kick in and then about 6000 rpms or so Ill shift. My question is, is this bad for a breakin? I have been told to break it in for 300 miles (its at about 250 now) and I havent floored it or raced the car at all. The clutch seems fine and I love it, Im just hoping this wont screw anything up for the future. As all of your fellow DSMers know, its kinda hard to refrain from driving slow...hehe :)

thanks!

------------------
91TSiPower
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just installed a Centerforce Dual Friction in my 96Tsi. The papers said that the breakin period was 500 miles for me. I read a lot on the digest and the archives. Everyone says that you have to refrain from using ANY boost! Don't push the car past 4k. I know it's hard and I had trouble at times holding mine back (I raced twice on the street). I don't notice any slipping yet but the techs at ACT say that your clutch needs time to glaze. Take it easy and be patient. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have no idea so i haveto ask..that break in period of 500 miles...im guessing that has to be city miles? a long trip outa town to see 4rnds wouldnt work will it? since your not engadging/disengadging the clutch as much to get it to glaze while on highway?

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
That would be correct, you can't cheat with highway miles. You need lots of clutch action under normal city driving conditions.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love, Bleed DSM...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts