DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 98 gst spyder 2 weeks ago. the car has 51k miles on it. the clutch pedal is very hard to depress and doesn't engage unless it is almost all the way to the floor. shifting is not as smooth as my integra was- it doesnt seem to go into each gear smoothly. when shifting into 4th gear i have to do so extremely slow otherwise the shifter pops out of fourth back into neutral. i have done a search on both of these symptoms and am not sure if it is the tranny or just the clutch. if it is just the clutch, i have been quoted by a dealer for parts and install around $1,000. any help is appreciated.

thanks, justin

·
Registered
423 Posts
hers is my guess:

First of all the clutch pedal is adjustable just look in the service manual if it adjusting it doesnt seem to help you may need to replace the master cylinder. As far as the stiffness of the clutch its sounds like its normal and replaceing the master cylinder may not change that. I dont think you will need a new clutch. When the clutch engages very close to the floor and the car is driven like that for a while the synchros tend to wear quickly which is why it may seem hard to shift. An Integra will probably allways shift easier than a DSM. If your car is poping out of gear you probably bent the 3/4 shift fork or your shift linkage is tweeked.

Don't spend a $1000 on a clutch until you diagnose the problem.

btw its only a guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts