DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my 95 Eclipse GS-T. I get this funny noise when I push in my clutch. I took it to a Mitsubishi dealer and they diagnosed that the throwout bearing needed to be replaced. So I had a local shop do it, but the noise is still there. It's coming from the front of the engine where the belts are. It's like something is searing or something is constantly catching/rubbing on something else. The engine has 112,000 miles on it. I was wondering if anybody has experienced this problem, and what it is.

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
Don't know what it is... but may have experienced the problem with my 95 GSX. Does yours do it all the time? I have a similar noise, but it only does it when it is very hot and humid outdoors. Has done it since new.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Listen to the noise very carefully. Does it sound like a wood pecker? Fast rapid ticks on metal? Don't know how familar you are with your car but 2gens (95-99) experience was is called crankwalk. To put it mildly, its bad...like a new engine bad. Check www.dsm.org and search for crankwalk. Good luck!

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD

·
Registered
231 Posts
Listen to the noise very carefully. Does it sound like a wood pecker? Fast rapid ticks on metal? Don't know how familar you are with your car but 2gens (95-99) experience was is called crankwalk. To put it mildly, its bad...like a new engine bad. Check www.dsm.org and search for crankwalk. Good luck!

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The noise only happens when I push in the clutch. Also, when my mechanic put the throwout bearing in he said that the throwout bearing shaft is worn and that I'd eventually need to replace the transmission (because of all the housing needed for the shaft). Would this have anything to do with the noise. It is a fast ticking noise (like a woodpecker).

·
Registered
9 Posts
It definetly sounds like the walking crank, I had this problem and it only occurs when you depress the clutch. Bring it in to a dealer ASAP. Tell them what to look for you'll notice that one side of the crankshaft is worn. This is not covered under the warranty and will be very expensive.

------------------
97 Black GSX

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cost me about $1000, and if you have it, you have to fix it otherwise the car becomes undriveable. But you should check roadraceengineering.com under the tech tips section they have quite a lot of info on the subject.

------------------
NYCCDSM
97 Black GSX

·
Registered
921 Posts
the dealer is not really the best place to go. Just B/c they sell the car doesn't mean a thing. 50% of my T belt work comes from Dealers that can't do the job right. if they can't do that I would worry about the motor. crank walk if not found eary on will cause the motor to kill it self. wipeing out rings, walls and rods never mind the crank.

take it to a shop that does T/E/L and have it done. it will be less then the dealer and done right

B/C no body seems to wan to tell you what is going on here it is.

Your crank is moving side to side. it will move side to side killing all the bearing on the main and rods. wipe the walls clean out of wack and I have seen it to the point that the block is not worth keeping. have this done ASAP.

Good Luck

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I have seen it to the point that the block is not worth keeping.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There must have been significant performance problems and symptoms beyond the tick-tick-tick at that point right Bill?

[This message has been edited by WhoaTed (edited August 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys...not sure if the walking crank is the problem but I'll have the dealer check it out. I haven't noticed any decrease in performance yet, is there definite signs to watch out for? I plan on putting the car up for the winter and possibly fixing it in the spring if it's only around a grand to fix. I was thinking it was $2-3K to fix.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that. Well good luck and don't sell it to me!! =-)

ted ya by that point it is bad but people that let it go that long are not in to how it run just that it run's if you know what I mean :cool:

Bill

PS Ted how do you do the burn out smileface hehehe I love it 1!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts