DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to remove the clutch restrictor on my 2G GSX. Is there a good site anywhere that tells you how to do it? What are the pros and cons of doing this? I am planning on getting a new clutch later... prolly an ACT 2100 or 2600 but I just wanted to do this in the meantime so I can launch a little better. Thanks,

Wei Yan Chan
'99 GSX

·
Registered
244 Posts
Go to the road race engineering site and look up their tech notes for a clutch install. It shows pix of the restrictor. Basically, you unbolt your slave cylinder. Take out the banjo bolt that holds the clutch line to the slave. Under the bolt you can see the little gold/copper restrictor. It has a small pin hole. You can dig this out with a pin. I don't recommend doing this because it will "slam" the gears evertime the clutch is engaged. Since you have a 2G, I would not do anything that would help the car along on it's way to potential crankwalk. I put in the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and I am glad I didn't remove the restrictor. My car maintains it's streetability and the stronger clutch grabs plenty well! The ACT will grab even harder. I would only remove the restrictor for a full on drag car, not a daily driver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks. I think I've decided not to remove it. I guess I'll just have to get that new clutch in sooner. Thanks for your help guys.

Wei Yan Chan
'99 GSX

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is nothing wron with removing the clutch restrictor, all this does give make the clutch engage sooner which gives you better 60fts at the track. If you do not remove it you will burn up your disk a little sooner becuase there is a delay from when you let the clutch out. So what happens is the you rev the car up and then the clutch engages. its was put there for driveablilty issues, but if you are racing your car, you want that clutch to engage as soon as you let out the pedal.

Richard www.thedsmshop.com
954-977-6789

1 - 5 of 5 Posts