DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, rented a hoist on saturday and am putting the on the motor stand. but arnt the bolts supposed to go into the bell housing on the tranny? so how would I be able to do the clutch still or do i remove the clutch to get the stand bolts on?? wow im confused.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ight thanks guys, your awesome as usual:)

Any special tools I need or just bolts? I only have the hoist for the weekend so If I need shit i need it ASAP!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean liek special tools to get the clutch and flywheel off:D

·
Registered
502 Posts
umm.. just to confuse things.. if you have a clutch and flywheel on the motor and want to leave them alone, you can use standoff spacers and longer bolts to mount up to teh motor stand (need about 6 inches of standoff and a snug fit from the spacer tubes to the bolts though). I don't know a way to install the clutch/flywheel to the engine on the stand though - short of building some kind of motor mount brackets and a cradle for a 1G block. 2G block, I don't know how you could do it at all.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
nope just 10mm socket and someone to stop the engine from turning over for the clutch. Also 17mm socket for the flywheel and someone even stronger to stop the engine from turning over when you take off the flywheel.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
GotARed said:
nope just 10mm socket and someone to stop the engine from turning over for the clutch. Also 17mm socket for the flywheel and someone even stronger to stop the engine from turning over when you take off the flywheel.
Yea, the PP bolts are easy enough but the flywheel bolts can be a PITA to keep the engine from turning. If you have access to an impact gun it makes life alot easier.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So how exactly do I keep the crank from rotating???:confused:

·
Registered
417 Posts
put a socket on the crank pulley bolt with a long breaker bar and prop it or have someone hold it and then you can work on the bolts on the other end. Or go buy an impact, walmart started carrying electric ones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can also do it with out anyone holding it, its a bitch, but thats how i did it lol. just use 2 17mm sockets, hold one bolt with one of them and break with the other.

·
Registered
55 Posts
and sometimes the bolts just get stuck in there, i had my ingersal 1/2" and it wouldnt break the bolts free until i heated them up.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont haha. I pulled my motor all with hand tools:banana:

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
^^LOL...i've done that before.

Just be careful not to strip the flywheel bolts as they are very shallow. If you do, have fun grinding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts