DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Im wondering whats the best kind of intake tube to get? Im gonna get a K&N Air Cleaner to put on the end of it. Thanks!

·
Registered
836 Posts
GSXALEX is absolutely right, colder ambient air reflects (to some degree) a cooler air at the throttle body no matter what intercooler you have... I've had a problem with my HKS assembly heating up and working like an air heater :mad: so I've cut a hole right behind my headlight and ran I (dryer)exhaust duct hose down to the opening in the bumper and that proved to be a simple solution to lower the ambient temperature at my intake. I'll post some pic's on how I've done it soon... next project is a tiny hood scoop on the passenger side of the hood (right above the filter) it will look something like the one on the impreza except much smaller, I've seen it used on lancers, but I'm not sure how will it look like on 92tsi

------------------

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I made a custom scoop on my hood and had it sealed to the aircan. To make a long story short, it worked well and looked good from a bodywork standpoint. But, it just didn't look that good on the car and I ended up replacing the hood when I repainted my car.
I then noticed there was about 3" between can lid and frame. I cut a hole in this area at the bottom of the can and ran 3" black pvc down to the bottom of engine area then I put a 45 degree pvc elbow at the end. This gives me a ram air intake to the can. I also sealed the can to the headlight area after removing the snorkel. The elbow is down low, below the engine heat and faces the front of the car. I like this set-up alot, the seat of the pants perf. gain was noticeable. I also had to fabricate a connector from the hole in the aircan to the pvc. Only once, has it gotten a little too much water into the filter. This was my fault though. :D I was running pretty hard in pouring rain at high boost for an extended time and the turbo was really pulling in the air. I just let off the gas a little bit and it went away quickly.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
701 Posts
The stock intake is pretty good IMO, just cut the aircan, and get a K&N, and your good to go, no need to spend $150 on an intake setup.

-Dave

------------------
91 GST AT

·
Registered
729 Posts
There are several upgrade intakes that do give performance gains, but i know of no specific "cold air" intakes for our turbo cars.

I am going to modify my car one way or another to make a ram/cold air intake, but it will most likely involve cutting some sheet metal. I haven't figured out exactly what to do yet though.

·
Registered
769 Posts
There are no Cold Air intakes for turbo cars because it would be pretty much pointless to make one. The whole point of a cold air intake is just what it says....to bring cold air to the engine. On a turbo engine no matter how cold the air is that you are collecting the air will be heated back up by the turbo. If you want cold air...get a water to air intercooler and fill it with dry ice. Now that's cold air!!!

------------------
'92 Eclipse GS 2.0L NT
http://www.geocities.com/trueracers

·
Registered
729 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>There are no Cold Air intakes for turbo cars because it would be pretty much pointless <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely disagree.
First i don't think there are any cold air systems because there really isn't a good way to make one for our cars. A lot of guys with fmic's will cut the sheetmetal between the filter and stock ic location and get ram/cold air that way, but i am keeping this location for an upgraded side mount.

Second, people are spending $1000 plus dollars on huge intercoolers for what reason???
Thats right, to get cooler intake temps!
The colder the air you start with, the colder the intake temp.

Lets say your engine bay heats the intake air up 10 degrees over ambient. Well now your intercooler has to work that much harder, or be that much bigger to keep the same intake temp as it would have if you could have started with cooler air in the first place.

As for the ram air that i mentioned earlier, how about getting a few psi before the turbo?
More more you get before the turbo, the less that little blender has to cut up (heat up) the air to maintain a given psi.

·
Registered
84 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gsxalex:
1. The colder the air you start with, the colder the intake temp.

2. Lets say your engine bay heats the intake air up 10 degrees over ambient.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets take these in order:

1. Absolutly positively correct!

2. You are being WAY to optomistic! Using the TMO data logger to measure intake air at the MAS, on a car with a cut aircan you see a MINIMUM of 50F over ambiant, and in some cases I have seen 75F over ambiant. One of the best advantages of having an aftermarket FMIC (or Galant VR-4 that has a tinny little FMIC stock) is that you CAN have a real cold air intake down in the fender well. Buschar sells them for cars with FMIC and VPC (or other systems that alow you to get ride of the MAS).

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey guys I was thinking on making my own version of a ram air by drilling some holes in the plastic light cover in the front of my 90 GSX and gutting the metal light assembly to ensure air makes its way back to the stock air can location. Has anyone done this before? anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

·
Registered
231 Posts
If your going to try to increase cold air to the filter remember to remove all those sheet metal plates between the passenger headlight and the air can. Stock has a plastic vent to direct air into the snorkle. Yank that and unbolt those panels (2 or 3 of them). Now you get more outside air from under the light. Right now I have done that just with the snorkel removed (used the rest of that air can as a heat sheild). When I find the time I might fab my own heat sheild and cut the rest of the can up.

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD
"RSX"

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the wheel well of my car on the passenger side is a vented area in the plastic wheel well cover. Inside there when the cover is torn off was a bottle type deal that lead to a whole in my air can. I cut out the side of the bottle deal and put pipe leading up into it. Now I don't know if only the N/T DSM's have this or if the turbo models do as well, but I started parting out a TSi today and found a cooling unit of some sort where that bottle is for me. It lead into the throttle body and I was wondering if this is something all turbo models have or is it something that someone added? Pleez someone give me incite into this, cuz if it is something that they added I would like to go and remove it and see what it is.

Thank you very much,
James 92 E-GS

·
Registered
231 Posts
NeCr0mStR:
What you found was the interooler on the tsi. On all turbos there is an intercooler in the intake line after the turbo but before the throtle body. What it does is act like a radiator and cool the intake air after it has been compressed (and heated) by the turbo. Lower charge temp. means more horses. I don't know if you could rig up something to use the intercooler on your N/T, but you might want to use that vented space on your car. You could try to draw cold air into your intake. Dryer hose, or even put part of the filter there (sheild it from water and road debris.).

Zach,
'92 Laser RS turbo AWD
"RSX"

·
Registered
921 Posts
man this is getting long =-)

N E WAY yes people use a reverse scoop over the Ehxt manf to get that super heated air out from the under hood. this helps a lot. As stated above the people that didn't agree like Alex for one were 1000% ( yes that is one thousand ) correct. it only makes sense. Look at it like this in simple terms. If we push the air in it is easier to get it in right? so ram air on a turbo works also. Another thing is that if it starts cooler it will end up at the TB cooler. Colder means denser and denser means more oxygen packed in to the same volume of air. Colder is denser and that is what you want. More oxygen for a given amount of room

Bill Marino
NYC DSM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts