DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently had my head taken to fix two bent valves. After putting everything back together i went to turn my car on and it didn't start. I did compression test and it was bad. Pistons 1,2, and,3 came out to the same compression of "100". The number 4 piston didn't have any compression. I know its not a bent valve because i just had the head rebuilt,new head gasket, and i did my timing right. What are the symptons of bad rings? Thats what i'm guessing it is. Has anyone ever heard of not having any compression and why?

·
Registered
295 Posts
damn too bad you didn't replace the rings when you had the head already off the car..

Try another compression test with a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and see if the results go up... This helps fill in imperfections in the rings.

Good Luck

·
Registered
374 Posts
100 compression in 3 cylinders will not stop the car from starting. I would be sure to check the timing belt to make sure everything is right on that end. What are the exact symptoms of it not starting? -Ian

·
Registered
62 Posts
If your getting 0 compression in a cylinder, it sounds like they didn't fix the bent valve! Sorry :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It can't be the head i have done the timing before and never had a problem with that. I don't have the tools to do a leak down test to find out where itmis leaking air from. The reason i had my off my car was because it over heated so bad that i blow my head gasket. I was thinking that i burn my rings and thats why i get that compression.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but even if your rings are fried/shot/history...your still going to get some compression, right? A few PSI at least? You said you were getting none, right?

Have you done the oil in the combustion chamber then compresion test? The oil will help seal the rings during the compression test. If your compresion improves, the rings are your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts