DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. I did a compression check about a month after rebuilding the cyl. head on my car and got the following compression test results:

Not to bad, I was happy overall since I left the bottem end alone when I did the head.

Ok so now a month later I decided to do a compression check again to to make sure everything is going okay. Well here are the results:

Again not to bad, however I dropped about 5 psi across the board over the span of one month? At this rate I will need a rebuild in 6 months?! I don't get it a pulled all the plugs and they looked fine, nice brown color. When I tune for EGT I tune for safety at around 1550, so I don't think its too lean. I guess I just dont understand what's going on. The only thing I can think of is that when I did the first compression test it was probably around 60+ degrees out, whereas now it is about 30+. Would the colder temperature (denser air) affect the results at all?

As a final note, the car was at normal op. temperature, throttle open, mpi fuse out, EXCEPT I tested with all the plugs out, not just the cylinder I was testing. How much does this affect things? (It wouldn't affect the variance though because both times I did the test I did it this way).

Thanks in advanced for your responses =]

·
Registered
548 Posts
Odd that is dropped 5 psi across the board like that. I don't think anything bad happened myself. Usually when something bad happens, one cylinder will take a crap, you won't see an exact 5 PSI drop across the board like that. It must have something to do with conditions.

Sounds like you did the compression test right from what I see. All plugs out, WOT, do what you can to stop fuel.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Nothing to worry about.. compression tests are pretty inaccurate, you mostly want to see the consistency across the cylinders.

Hard to say what causes it, most likely it's a little colder than last time, you took a little longer, gauge is not accurate, or battery is not as strong as last time.

Don't worry about it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts