DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the standard tranny engines are slightly faster than the automatics. I want to put the cpu from a standard into my auto....will that work? I am thinking not...but i figured its worth a shot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Brownhouse, I believe that the reason the manual transmission cars are a little quicker has everything to do with the manual transmission, not with the ECU. I could be wrong, if I am, I'm sure someone will correct me! I believe the ECU is the same for either car.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Nope can't be done. the ECU controls the shift points and the auto cars ahve different timming maps and injector maps b/C the smaller turbo and inj. Can it be done , Yes. Will it run right ? No!

The reason the 5 speed cars is faster is less loss throught the trany, Larger turbo, larger Inj, The ability to BEAT THE SNOT OUT OF IT <heheh>

Bill Marino
PS!!!! 1 more post till I move to Senior poster!!!! ya baby YA!!!

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
30 Posts
-Here's a question, what if you're running M/T (450's) Injectors an a A/T car... would the M/T ECU still work? -The TCU (transmition Control Unit) Is what determines the shift points, NOT THE ECU. Other than that, I've heard the the M/T cars have a different valve durration, compared to the A/T's, but I think that it should work, minus a little tweaking of the timing.
Why do I have M/T injectors on a A/T car you might ask? -Well, my 16G (TD-05, 7cm)might be able to answer that...

-Eben (trying to get out of buying an AFC)
94 Tsi AWD A/T

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Valve timing is the same for both AT & MT. The stock turbos on the 1G as noted in previous posts are different depending on tranny type. Installing larger injectors and turbo onto the AT car will not cause any issues with the ECU. The tranny is a different story, depending on it's state of repair and how you drive it. There are some fast AT DSMs out there and I suggest you consult the http://at.dsm.org AT DSM website.

[This message has been edited by dsm4eva (edited August 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dsm4eva (edited August 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok, if the valve durration is the same, then explain the different Mitsu part numbers for the cams... Further, I know that the 450's are affecting by my ECU (via my A/F guage) -Prior to the install of the 450's, the O2's voltage used to be consistant, now, however, it fluctuates from anyhere from .47 volts to a whopping 2.35 volts (meaning that the ECU's injector pulse is attempting to adjust the A/F ratio by adding/pulling fuel in a constant loop (in an attempt to conpensate for the addition of fuel from the 450's)-I dunno...

·
Registered
921 Posts
anything will work it's a matter of how well it will work.

Cams for the AT are different. Specks on them?? no idea but smaller I do know that. I think RRE measured them. but simple fact is that they used a smaller turbo and wanted it to get in to power faster B/C of the tight converter of the auto trany.

About the 450's,

you better watch that B/C the 450's can wipe out the rings ( gas wash ) if the ECU brings up the inj block. the 450's are much bigger then the stock (360's??) so the amount of fuel at idle will be backing down the block. You stop on it and then the car goes lean, a few lite pings then the fuel come ripping in. The car go WAY TO RICH and this is where the danger is. gas wash is not a fun prob to deal with.

maybe if you remove the lower honeycomb and keep a VERY close eye on the o2 voltage you may be able to correct this prob.

A little info the 91-94 ECU has much more room for adjustment then the 90 ECU so if you ever for some reason have a 90 car that needs a ECU get a 91-94 unit. 2 wires need to be swaped on the plug.

I am no AUTO guru B/C I don't think the money should be wasted. All the auto guys come in and I tell them this. Mitsu has the best 4 banger and the WORST auto trany, If your made out of money and don't mind it braking on a 13 sec pass the build it up. if you don't want to sell the car get a 5 speed for it. The fact of the mater is even the fast AT gusy will tell you that the trany just slips and it's a matter of time till you cook it. All the "built units" are also blowing up so there seems to be no hope in site.

TRUST ME I WISH I could sit at the line at 10-14 PSI on the trany brake and then just let all hell brake loose but I think the trany would just explode ( or slip till it cooks it self to death )

Don't get me wrong I think there is no better answer for a turbo drag car then a Auto but when it can't take 300 HP stock where are you going to take it to?

In the ong run going 5 speed is going to be cheaper and make more passes till it brakes. it a matter of when will it brake and how often =-)

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts