DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question to cover my butt. Are the stock connecting rods in the 1.8 strong? i mean has anyone broken one from spirited driving?

I ask because my friend with his civic keeps snapping them. I know they are completly different but i would really hate to have a little fun on the way to work and chuck a rod through the block.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
um, are you fucking serious, You make no scense. The stock mitsu 1.8 rods aren't strong, they are nothonda rods, which are a totally different thing. I don't think you are gonna break one driving your 92 horse power car hard, why even drive it hard, it is a gas mileage car.

Are you eating acid or what man?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
way to act like a total asshole? do you feel better about yourself?

I know they are completly different. shit i even said they were.....read much?

All i was asking is if they were known to snap......but thanks for being a dick.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I doubt they will break just from spirited driving, unles the spirited driving included nitrus shot or something that wouldnt make it stock.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Mr.Juice said:
Just a question to cover my butt. Are the stock connecting rods in the 1.8 strong? i mean has anyone broken one from spirited driving?

I ask because my friend with his civic keeps snapping them. I know they are completly different but i would really hate to have a little fun on the way to work and chuck a rod through the block.

1.8 rods arent going to snap from spirited driving.

Your friend mustve been revving really, really high or had over 300000 miles.

I had a 92 civic si that snapped a rod from high mileage.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Unless you make a lot more power out of the 1.8 (no flaming...it can be done!) then you're fine...there's not enought power to worry too much. I beat the crap out of my 1.8 and it always came back for more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys! thats all i was wondering about. With what happened to my friend just made me a little nervous to have any fun.

glad there are some people here who are nice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm pretty built with the factory rods. I'm running about 1.4 points over factory compression (10.9 vs 9.5 to 1) and after 10,000 mile plus the original 171,272, they've held up fine. Even had them magnafluxed during the rebuild and they had no bad spots. They work!!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
stock compression on a 1.8 is 9:1. stock rods on a 1.8 can handle up to 400hp, but beating the crap out of a high milaged engine is never a smart thing to do unless you have the money to rebiuld it later

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
cwlaser90 said:
stock compression on a 1.8 is 9:1. stock rods on a 1.8 can handle up to 400hp, but beating the crap out of a high milaged engine is never a smart thing to do unless you have the money to rebiuld it later
Who teh hellzorz got a 1.8 to 400hp?!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I don't see it happening either. I havn't seen a boosted 1.8 make anywhere close to those numbers. Let alone with stock rods. Those things are not good for 400 horses. Who told you that?

·
Registered
303 Posts
did i say a 1.8 was making 400hp? your right there isnt a 1.8 making 400hp but i never said there was. ginsu was the only one to come close to that which was 315 without nitrious. the rods on the 1.8 can handle what you throw at them without them "snapping"

·
Registered
96 Posts
cwlaser90 said:
did i say a 1.8 was making 400hp? your right there isnt a 1.8 making 400hp but i never said there was. ginsu was the only one to come close to that which was 315 without nitrious. the rods on the 1.8 can handle what you throw at them without them "snapping"
How do you know this if there's no 1.8 making 400whp? :confused:

Maybe the word "bend" is more to your liking?

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
As stated, they will have no problems assuming the car is stock. Mitsu would have set the rev limiter lower if they had any doubts that they couldn't take 6k rpms.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.