DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread and all. But I stumbled upon this while searching because somehow while driving to work last week (only doing 65mph) I snapped a rod... haven't pulled the head yet but I know what snapped rods sound like. Was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. It has a little over 171k but I didn't beat on the thing. I know a couple lifters were on their way out so I assumed that was the noise I heard on the highway. I was sadly mistaken. I think maybe its time for an ugrade?

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
The chance of a rod randomly breaking on it's own are incredibly slim, it takes ALLOT of force to break a rod and if you actually have a broken rod (I doubt it personally) I would be willing to bet there was a lubrication failure that caused said rod to break.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My friends 1.8 snapped a rod on the highway. It destroyed the entire bottom end. It had only 126k on it. Maintenance was maintained on the car. However it did see a couple thousand miles with no transmission mount. Since it was the number 4 rod that snapped that may have had something to do with it. Or it was just a lemon rod with a flaw to it. I've lost a bearing on a rod before and drove with the rod knocking like the police trying to brake down your door, at about 45mph for 14miles and the rod held like a champ.

Anyways, forget about upgrading, just get a new or used bottom end and call it a day.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.