DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparentlly there is a way to convert the stock hydraulic lifters to solid type. It involves removing the check ball and spring and using some wire clips to hold the rockers down, and shims. I need info on how to do this or where to buy the kit for the conversion. I'm not interested in the solid aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Only one I coudl think of is that you definately lessen the chance of floating a valve at high rpm..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's correct. If you look at any dyno graph from a car with hyd. lifters, the power falls off at high rpm. Yes, this could be turbo related but the stock hyd. lifters can't keep up at high rpm and the power drops off. Now look at a dyno graph from a car with solid lifters and the power curve is a steady incline curve until redline, provided your turbo flows enough to keep up. Now the stock valve springs and cam profile has a lot to do with it as well. If your redline is above 8000 then stiffer springs are required as well. Or if you have a high lift cam, aftermarket springs are also required to prevent spring coil bind at get the most power benifit. Ralliart uses solid lifters in their race EVOs. There are a few aftermarket solid lifters but they are expensive and difficult to install as the nuts often come loose because there in not enough room to properly torque them on the head. That means you have to set the lash, take the lifters out, tighten them, install and check the lash again. You have to repeat this several times for each lifter to get the lash correct and not have the nuts come loose. The conversion is cheaper and simpler and you simply shim the lifter. Solid lifters may be noisier and will require adjustment down the line but they make a lot more top end power.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: solid lifters

StrokedAWD said:
Well where is this kit to convert the stock lifters? I haven't heard of the kit, just the aftermarket ones.
Last I heard, Wrightouch is offering them for sale on their site. I don't like the price.
I think I will just stick to the rivised lifters and get the double spring along with some titanium retainers and call it a day.

Unless your are prepping the car for track use only. In which case you will have the money to buy expensive solid lifters - right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts