DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering putting a sub-woofer into my new 2G. I've had two 1G's in the past (one FWD, one AWD) and custom made speaker enclosures for each of them fitting in the hatch. I'm now wanting to keep all my hatch space but am dying for better sound.

I've considered purchasing a large free-air sub woofer and using the air space where the spare tire is kept. I'd make a hole for the sub in the wooden cover that sits on top of the spare so that the magnet and voice coil would sit right inside the spare tire and the cone would be flush with the floor of the hatch. Looking at it, I think I could seal it off reasonably well using weather-stripping foam rubber. I thought maybe a 12 or even a 15 inch free-air driver would give some good low-end. Better yet, it wouldn't use any of my hatch space. All you'd see when you opened the hatch is a large metal speaker grill mounted on the floor of the hatch. The space where the spare tire is kept looks good for probably about 3 cubic feet with the spare left in...maybe more. What do ya think?

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Registered
205 Posts
I thought of that too but I thought it might vibrate too much. What do you think?

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, Greddy IC Piping, Magnecores, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
48 Posts
you could probably pull out the spare and line it all with dynamat to keep vibration down. also, figure out some way to bolt down the wooden floor of the trunk to keep it from rattling, too. that's a good idea you had, i may have to try it. (also good if you already have the amp mounted on the back of the seats!)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Instead of going with free-air, would you think about going sealed? Free air usually requires a large amount of air space (such as the whole trunk) to operate, If you seal off that area, with a good 3/4" MDF on top, fiberglass re-inforce the actual spare tire well, you should at least get .85 cu/ft right? With the fiberglass re-inforcemant the enclosure should be strong enough to handle some high power subs. There are many subs out now that are designed to fit in enclosures that small sealed, and sound EXTREMELY good. Infinity Kappa Perfect 12(I would recommend)@ $200 each, Image Dynamics IDQ 12" @140 ea, MMats Professional series @150 ea 12" ( the 10" can operate efficiently in as small as .4 cu/ft), Eclipse 88xx series, JL W6's, etc. I've never thought of that, it's a really good idea. Hope this helps a little :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did consider making a fiberglass mold for the inside of the spare tire at one point. I calculated the airspace and the spare tire only has roughly 0.5 cubic feet. Maybe enough air space for a single 8 inch driver. I questioned if that would be adequate enough. It's not that I want a loud bass system, but I do want something with quite a bit of punch (I like it loud :)). I figure that if I want to use the entire air space below the wooden cover, a free air driver may be better for the application. Free air drivers have characteristics that make them more forgiving when it comes to situations where there is a large undetermined amount of air space and the space may not be perfectly sealed. I question if there is enough air space for a free-air driver, though, since I've never gone the free-air route in the past and am unfamiliar with their specs. Now that I think about it...I may try using two JBL 8 inch subs I already have. I planned on putting the amplifier under the passenger seat where the stock Infinity amp formerly resided. I did plan to heat form some Dynamat on the bottom of the well and seal the wooden cover against the top with low density foam weatherstripping and a bit of custom fabrication. I figure a couple of screws in the right spots should seal and secure the wooden top and keep it easy to remove in case I need to change a tire. I'll be getting the materials to do it tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know how it turns out. ;)

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,923 Posts
I would removd the spare completly and line the whole area with fiberglass about a 1/2 thick maybe more. Then I would make a top peice that covers the whole floor(like the stock floor cover) only put a whole where the sub is about 2" bigger then the sub and make a "plug" that can cover the sub when other things are back there. As for a flat tire I would get Fix a Flat or Jack In a Can or other products like that, that can get you to where you need to be. If you take your time you can make it look very nice. Using plugs to cover your subs and then painting or plexiing the area around the sub would finish the install off rather nice. I have made one install like this, I am a 15 year old novice, for my friend and he get complments from the local stereo shop, they though that he went to seattle to get it done. Really if you spend your time you can make it look very nice. I have no great skills in building things but I consider myself a good designer and problem solver, witch is really all it takes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually considered mounting the speakers flush and using steel waffle-style grills over the speakers to protect them from damage. When I'm finished, all you'll see are two black waffle grills on the floor of the hatch...well, and my amp. I just found out it won't fit under the passenger seat. :(

Oh, and the whole point of this is a no compromises installation...I hafta keep my spare. :) That Fix-a-flat stuff has failed me one to many times to be trusted. What I really need is a set of run-flat tires with an electronic pressure monitoring system. That way I can really do it right. ;)

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,923 Posts
I would still recomend fiberglassing the area that you can and make the whole enclosure removeable to access your spare. Also a IDQ 10 or 12 would be good for this I think the 10 requires .6 cu ft. Just some more food for thought.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that's alot like what I was contemplating. I know I said I'd do it by now, but things have come up and I haven't gotten a chance to do it yet. Maybe this weekend. :)

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it's been about 3 months now and I finally got off my ass and did the stereo installation. Here's a pic:

I ended up filling the air gaps in the spare tire with expando-foam and put a ring of closed-cell weather-stripping on the underside of the wood sheet in a circle to make the enclosure air tight. I ported it with two 1" diameter ports. Sounds pretty good. I actually have discernible bass now. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
What application do you use to fiberglass the wheel well? The kits they sell at auto part stores with the mesh material or some other type of kit. I as wondering because ussually a mold is needed and if you pour fiberglass into the wheel well it would fill up and not be hollow. Howdo you get around this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i kinda like that idea, i had another one myself. I was thinking that i could take out the rear seatback, and replace it with a piece of MDF. build the speaker box into the replacement seatback, and place one sub where the center of each seat would have been. it would look cool as shit, if you carpeted it to match your interior.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
these all sound like great Ideas but I've spent a ton of time racking my brain about this kind of set up. I would just buy a JL audio stealth box. it comes loaded with one 10w3d2(rated at 250 wrms). www.jlaudio.com

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wow, this thread was started September of 2000! MJF1976, you need the fiberglass with the mesh mat. You have to put down aluminum foil paper in the spare tire well before starting so you can remove the sub enclosure. You just do one layer of mat at a time until it is built to around 1/4" or better. I used to have tons of links to fiberglassing, I'll see if I can find them for you.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
sub box

I made a sub box in my spare tire hole and it was so simple. First I took out my tire, then all I had to do is Cut a piece of particle board to fit flush around the well, then I took and found the places to cut out so my twelves would fit, took some expanding foam and a little red vinyl and you got a custom sub box. I recesed it a little so I could roll that little carpet mat and you could never tell I had subs. they sound awesome, a little bit of a rattle prob, but hey what more can you ask for. My friend aslo did it on his subaru with 2 tens, never heard tens sound that good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts