DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 GS auto, and this problem has popped up due to the cold temperatures lately. When I turn on my heat, it will usually take about 10 min sitting still at idle untill the engine warms up enough to produce warm air through the heating ducts. But as soon as I start driving (about 2 min later) of non-stop/go traffic, the engine temp meter drops back down to its lowest point and the heating air becomes anything but warm. My first inclinations are that the thermostat housing may be stuck open, but would like the opionion of others before I go and do anything. I am a poor college student and do not want to have it serviced. I have much experience with Honda's, but not much on the 420a. Thanks for the help.

-Andy

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~ajross/crx.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe that your T-stat is stuck open, Go to auto zone, buy the G2 - 195 T-stat with a new gasket, that should fix the problem.. if not post again & let me tell you a second problem it might be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Just for future reference, where approximately is the t-stat located on the block? And any specific size socket? Thanks for the quick help.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just follow your upper radiator hose (the one on the leftof your radiator) to your engine block, there is a fitting there w/ 2 bolts (I believe 12 mm(?)) you want to
- drain about 1 gal of your coolant in a clean bucket (to put back in later)
-take the radiator hose off
-remove bolts from the thermostat housing
-scrape the old gasket off the housing
-put new therm. and gasket in tighten bolts to (I think) 18 ft/lbs
-replace radiator hose
-replace coolant
test drive :D

Hope that helps.
-Aaron

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am having the same problem. I plan to replace the thermostat on Sunday (my day off). Am going to do a radiator flush at the same time. My question is: Does it hurt anything for the engine never to reach normal operating temperature?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I would reconsider flushing your engine.... Unless you have very pure water, IN THEORY flushing the coolant system is a good idea and if done IN A PERFECT ENVIRONMENT it is benficial but i f you have hard water, running that through the water jacket in your engine is going to deposit shit in there possibly.. So it's up to you just be cautioned if you have hard water..

-Aaron

·
Registered
612 Posts
I allways do..... Im just paranoid as crap about that though. My dad is the one that brought this to my attention, he has flushed the coolant out of our Chevy Custom Deluxe a few times and quit. I bought one of those Prestone kits that you tap into the heater core intake hose and flush it like that. I was about to tear into mine but my dad said he quit doing it because the truck was overheating on him going to work and he thought it was because our water was leaving mineral deposits in the water jacket, reducing the flow of the coolant through the block so we allways use distilled (not mineral) water now and flush out what we can.. run the engine for a bit, then flush it agian (Yea we did change the thermostat SEVERAL times and it never got better on the truck). Granted you can't get all the old coolant out like that but it works for me.... and I guess IF you have soft water it doing that Prestone flush shouldnt be much of a problem but my water is so hard if I rinse my car it looks like i coated it in chalk. Go figure.

Just my random $.02
-Aaron

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I did it last night. I went and got some distilled water for it, just to be on the safe side. I think the thermostat was the original that came in the car. It was no longer in one piece (no wonder it was stuck open)! Now that I have a functioning thermostat, I need to replace my radiator hose due to a small leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts