DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i noticed a oil in my coolant, i was just wondering if that could be from a turbo on its way out. Heres what im working with, 93 tsi block and head were just rebuilt (stock specs). 14b turbo which did have a descent amount of shaftplay when i put eveything back together. It seems to be using oil and coolant. I can still get normal boost through the rpms and the car runs awsome, so im not thinking head gasket. Im guessing blows seals in the 14b, could that mix my oil and coolant though?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Usually oil in coolant is a blown headgasket, but I remember reading about there is something either oil or coolant passes through to cool it down more that sometimes leaks, and lets them mix. I would do a compression test though to narrow it down.

Josh

·
Registered
782 Posts
1GDSM2k3 said:
Im guessing blows seals in the 14b, could that mix my oil and coolant though?
Nope. On a wet CHRA (which is what you have), you lubricate the shaft with oil and sent coolant into the housing to cool it down. The oil and coolant are completely seperated. When you damage turbo seals, the only two things that mix are oil and air.

So like Josh had already stated, an oil and coolant mixture usually indicates a failing head gasket.

·
Registered
782 Posts
soCALturbo said:
When i blew my t25 coolant was burning through my exhaust. White smoke out of your exhaust?
Please explain to me exactly what part failed on your turbocharger that caused coolant to flow into your exhaust...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
484 Posts
when you blow a turbo, you lose oil into the exhaust. That causes white smoke out your tailpipe, along with oil dripping through the flexpipe. If you have coolant issues, it's usually related to the banjo bolts or crush washers on the pipes. There is no way for coolant to get INSIDE the turbo center section, aside from a serious impact that would actually shatter the turbo, and if that happened, you wouldn't be driving your car at all. I've rebuilt quite a few hundred turbo's, and I've NEVER seen one that had water leaking into the oil center section, which is the only way it's going to get into the exhaust. It's very easy to pressure check the H2O section of the turbo, and see if it leaks.

It sounds like you have a headgasket problem.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
The other day i noticed a oil in my coolant, i was just wondering if that could be from a turbo on its way out. Heres what im working with, 93 tsi block and head were just rebuilt (stock specs). 14b turbo which did have a descent amount of shaftplay when i put eveything back together. It seems to be using oil and coolant. I can still get normal boost through the rpms and the car runs awsome, so im not thinking head gasket. Im guessing blows seals in the 14b, could that mix my oil and coolant though?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts