DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty guys... here's the intricate details:

I just had a transmission rebuild due to bad tranny bearings, and had them replace the clutch while they were at it (stock new clutch). Prior to the rebuild, i experienced NO problems with any grinding noises at all, left turns or anything.

Post rebuild: during my break-in period for my clutch, i noticed a grinding noise coming from the clutch area on left hand turns going up hills. The clutch petal is NOT sticking, i'm not hearing any ticking, and i am experiencing none of the other CW symptoms. The thing that gets me is that this set on SUDDENLY right after the clutch replacement. There was no gradual easing into it...

SO, I took the car back to aamco to have them take a look at the clutch, and reproduced the problem for them. They were pretty sure it wasnt any major problem, and that they could have it fixed in 2 days or so. I dont see how a clutch could only malfunction on left hand turns under stress...

ANY IDEAS would be helpful! If you have any other explaination besides CW, i'd love to hear them... thanx for all of your help!

EDIT: i listened to a crankwalk .wav, and my engine sounds NOTHING like that WHATSOEVER. its just a clutch slipping sound, NO ticking and NO problems shifting or clutch floor sticking. Also, i can produce the sound going straight, nto as easily.

Ian
96 GST

·
Registered
353 Posts
MerpMan said:
Alrighty guys... here's the intricate details:

EDIT: i listened to a crankwalk .wav, and my engine sounds NOTHING like that WHATSOEVER. its just a clutch slipping sound, NO ticking and NO problems shifting or clutch floor sticking. Also, i can produce the sound going straight, nto as easily.

Ian
96 GST
dont mean to sound like a dick but i ythink you answered your own question right there. if it dont sound like it, feel like it, ot act like it, probably isnt it... right??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the fact that it is a slipping clutch when i make left turns is scary... the left turn business is something i only thought to be CW, and dont know anything else where that matters engine/clutch wise. BTW... nice paintjob :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
XakEp said:
where can I get the carnkwalk .wav?
http://www.wynterkat.com/eclipse/crankwalk.wav - there.

Also, i had some weird sounds too when i installed my new clutch (only when i ran it hard). After the break in period the sounds went away. Are you allowing your clutch to break in?

Dont run your car hard with a new clutch. I tried not to, but its kinda of difficult to do it when an S-2000 driver thinks hes pimp.:p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didnt run it hard... they havent gone away after 500 mi... but it is most common when going up hills

1 - 9 of 9 Posts