DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just something that ran through my mind last night. Factory spec on the base timing is 5 degrees, correct? I've heard of some people setting it at 10 degrees. Well, what I couldn't figure out is how that makes a difference. I thought the ECU changes timing as it sees fit. How would advancing the base setting 5 degrees make any difference?

So what I was wondering is does timing act differently in closed-loop and open-loop modes? For instance, does the ECU bounce timing around constantly in closed-loop mode when you're just driving around town but then, when you floor it and it goes into open-loop operation, does it do something like revert back to the base timing setting and then advance it from there? So if you somehow, for some reason, set it at 25 degrees for the base timing setting, would it shoot to 25 degrees as soon as you floor it?

I couldn't find much info on this while doing a search and I was just curious about why some people set their timing differently.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts